Adding Servo assisted brakes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skidsurf

Reaction score
Hi
I'm looking into adding a brake servo to my LHD 68.
From what ive read its best to get a servo with the master cylinder attached, so i'm probably going to go with this one from VW heritage.
http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares...D_213268.htm?crumbStartPage=1&crumbStartRow=1

Can anyone fill me in on the finer points of this conversion, ie placement on a LHD and what other parts i'll need for the install.

Any help is appreciated

PS, if I've missed another thread already on this please point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Mike

Has your beam got a servo bracket?
I found this part out the hard way when attempting a beam swap before :roll:

don't think so, its the original 68 beam, will double check tonight though.
I can fabricate a bracket ok, just not sure where to fix it.

I'm very close to completing this with my 68,

I've used a T25 servo and m/c which is bigger than the bay one and has caused a few problems but thankfully there all ironed out now.

null_zpsfee6eddc.jpg

You'll also need a pedal extension piece (I made mine) and also the pipe work front to back (standard servo vans have a steel tube in the middle which you can buy but I've just ran pipe all the way through), one way valve is required too.

Out of interest do you have discs on the front?

Can't you just fit a remote servo?
Vw Jim or Creative Engineering do them.

I fitted a vwjim servo to my '68, and it works a treat and was easy to install. It's mounted under the cargo floor, the only real issue being that most of the brake pipes needed to be rearranged to suit this new distribution point. However, when taking of the old steel pipes I was glad that I was replacing them, as corrosion between the pipes and the chassis was happening. Buy a kit and some pipe and make them yourself, get some clips from ebay to hold the in place. If you're fitting disks remember to remove the one way valve in the master cylinder, a simple exercise in removal of the outlet, snap off the valve pulling out the ball bearing and spring and the reassembly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

some great ideas lads! thanks :D
Hadn't thought of a remote servo.
Presume this means you keep the original master cylinder?

I don't have discs just original pads.

just done a bit of digging on remote servos.
They look good but cost way more to buy plus all the extra pipe work.
Did come across some interesting threads from split owners who are using different servos off things like golfs and t25's.
Anyone done this?

thanks for all the pointers lads.
Even though its not cheap i'm leaning towards a remote servo, seems to be less hassle and better performance in the long run. Will post some pics when its sorted.
Cheers :D

lots of work to retro fit to a 68. I used a thin porsche 944 servo with bay master cylinder on a k+l beam. only just enough room and had to make a pulley for the brake cable. linkage all had to be scratch built for rhd but should be ok for lhd.

just fitted a brazilian one on mine ,did have a servo but was shot .looked at a lot of threads on here .it mounts sweet.have a look on my resto thread for pics

Anyone got a picture or details for the Vacuum to inlet manifold installation.
was wondering on the best position for the valve, can you do this without removing the manifold?
any advise really.
Mines a single port engine.

Thanks

I'm in the process of fitting a 6n polo servo. £20 from the local breaker, using my OG master cylinder. Fit snug and according to Marco of MarCo supplies adds breaking performance, even to bays fitted with a late bay servo fitted previously. I'll get some pics up soon.

Latest posts