Which Master Cylinder for remote servo

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skidsurf

Reaction score
Hi
I'm in the process of fitting a remote servo to my 68 LHD bus.
The current master cylinder has proven very difficult to remove and I had to cut 2 brake pipes to get it out. Also the reservoir was so brittle it shattered when I pushed it out.
WP_20140608_011.jpg

Anyway all this leads me to think its worth fitting a new one considering its condition and age.

My question is do I need to fit a like for like replacement for a 68 MC or can I fit any of the slightly later ones. There is a massive difference in price!!
Also the remote servo setup doesn't use as many ports.

see creative engineering plumbing chart
http://www.creative-engineering.com...rt&page=shop.browse&category_id=176&Itemid=26

This chart recommends a master cylinder from GSF part number 65232 (doesn't exist on their website anymore) But I think this is aimed at splits.
Unless anyone knows if this fits a 68 bay?

Any advise or help is appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

I'll try and be more precise, see if anyone can answer or help? ( I have a LHD 68 bay without servo at present)

I'm fitting a remote servo but also need to swap out my 68 master cylinder as its knackered.
Now I could just install a new 68 specific master cylinder but not only are they pricey but have ports surplus to requirements and seeing as I will have to replace all the brake lines anyway I don't really need it.

Therefore I was looking at master cylinders for the later models. Same bolt on holes and also dual circuit.
Just what I need.. I think!

The remote servo only requires a brake line out of the MC for front and one line out for rear.

Can anyone confirm this before I buy one?

Cheers
Mike

Give EvilBens a ring - I think they offer this conversion as a drive in drive out service so will be able to advise you accordingly.

http://evilbens.co.uk/contact-us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike, whilst I am not getting a remote servo yet due to cost it is something I will be doing in the future. I to think that as long as you have a dual circuit MC you will be ok - based on the chart from CE.

Maybe this from VWJim will help? http://www.vwjim.co.uk/news_6694_56041.html It looks as though you need to plug one of the holes up, is that one of the holes the front or rear pipes go to? I guess that could explain the red line in the CE chart. Maybe give VWJim a call if EvilBens are un contactable?

I'd be very interested how you get on.

Hi Whistler
I'm glad you seem to be following my train of thought on this!
One of the big problems is that most info about remote servo's is related to splits, in which case the suppliers are more precise about which MC to use.
I have spoken to Jim and even though he was helpful he couldn't actually 100% confirm this.

As far as the later MC goes you would not need to plug any of the ports as there is only 2 anyway, i'll be using the brake light switches as previous setup.

Anyway I've decided to bite the bullet and get this MC from Machine 7 (they are the only supplier to mention that it will also fit a 68)
http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=1746&xSec=723

will let you know how I get on!
cheers
Mike

Just spotted this thread. Yes the creative/vwjim servo works perfectly well with a 68mc. The creative drawing explains it all. You need to do quite a bit of plumbing, I'll draw out what I did and post it up.

Cheers for the replies.
As it turns out "veedubman" I went for the same MC as you!

Just started the install this weekend, I see you have installed your servo just behind the cross member, I considered there myself,
but in the end I've mounted it under the passenger foot well, bit more access room.
Going to make a sheet metal cover for a bit more protection.

photos to follow,

Latest posts