Brake upgrade options?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubbedup67

Reaction score
I'm looking at upgrading the brakes on my 68,I am on a tight budget so I'm trying to see which way to go.
I'm currently running a 64 splitty beam With wagenswest flipped spindles.
Now after doing a lot of research I'm torn and have a few questions.

1- brake servos,I like the thought of servo brakes. It is it possible to fit a late by brake servo or is my only option a remote servo like vw jims?

2- I'm tempted by Porsche discs up front but Was wondering if it was possible to fit late bay discs at all? Is that possible when running knl?

And
3- what,in people's opinion is the perfect setup regarding brakes?
I'm thinking I want servo assisted with discs up front.so basically what's the best route to go with this?

dubbedup67 said:
1- brake servos,I like the thought of servo brakes. It is it possible to fit a late by brake servo or is my only option a remote servo like vw jims?

2- I'm tempted by Porsche discs up front but Was wondering if it was possible to fit late bay discs at all? Is that possible when running knl?

Yes you need to go remote servo. The king and link pin beam tubes are too close together to fit the servo bracket for a stock VW servo.

You can easily fit Pre 86 Porsche hubs on your current dropped spindles with a conversion kit. The discs it uses are 911 / 944 20mm vented, and widely available new and cheap. This will give you 130 PCD.

You can't fit late bay discs on this setup. Their 112 PCD is in the casting and there's no way they would fit. The Porsche vented discs are far better anyway.

TransporterHaus said:
dubbedup67 said:

Yes you need to go remote servo. The king and link pin beam tubes are too close together to fit the servo bracket for a stock VW servo.

You can easily fit Pre 86 Porsche hubs on your current dropped spindles with a conversion kit. The discs it uses are 911 / 944 20mm vented, and widely available new and cheap. This will give you 130 PCD.

You can't fit late bay discs on this setup. Their 112 PCD is in the casting and there's no way they would fit. The Porsche vented discs are far better anyway.

Awesome.so I could get the adapter for the discs and then just new discs and calipers for relatively cheap?
What's the full list of things il need for a Porsche conversion?

dubbedup67 said:
Awesome.so I could get the adapter for the discs and then just new discs and calipers for relatively cheap?
What's the full list of things il need for a Porsche conversion?

Parts you need:
Pre 86 Porsche 944 or 924 Turbo hubs.
Discs - available new from Euro or GSF.
Calipers - choose from 944, 944 Turbo, Wilwood or 911 / Boxster.
An adapter kit for the calipers.

I would suggest using Boxster calipers. They are good calipers readily available used not requiring a rebuild. Others will need a rebuild which can be pricey on the turbo ones.

Latest posts