Braking problem

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onlybayinthevillage

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
1972 XO
Was driving the van this weekend and had to pump the brakes on one occasion as i could nearly push my foot to the floor. After that it was ok but it has happened recently before. I cannot see any brake fluid leaks and the brake fluid level remains constant. I have had no work done on the brakes so air in the system seems unlikely.
Any ideas?

If there arnt any fluid leaks id say the seals in the master cylinder have gone and the brake fluid is blowing by.

Rich

Also,, when was the last time the fluid was changed ????
Might be worth getting under and looking at all the cylinders and inspecting everything minutely, at the end of the day it`s only your brakes so nothing to really worry about as they don`t work that well anyhow ;)
If it`s nothing obvious like leaks etc, then get it down to a good garage or get a decent mek nik to look at it. Does sound like it may be master cylinder from your description, but how often do you check your fluid level, monthly ? weekly ? annually ? I`m very guilty of not checking often enough and I bet I`m not the only one. :?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Brakes,, stops you bumping into things dunnit :mrgreen:

Latest posts