Bringing back to life

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T2whit

Reaction score
New to the forum and after some advice, my dad put our 1970 Devon to bed in the garage 10 years ago and i don't think the cover has been off since, i would like to look at getting it back on the road but not sure where to start, are there any guides on the forum about starting and moving vans that have been in storage for a long time? i was thinking drain / replace fuel & change filter, new battery and check engine turns but what else? If i can get it started and moved is there any advice on where i could take it to have it properly checked over in the Mid Wales / Shropshire area?

Welcome mate. Sounds like you know what your doing. Now, some people would say have a fire extinguisher ready put a new battery in it pour a cap full of fuel down the carb and turn it over and why not. I would do that I’d be just excited to see if it starts. However
Does it turn over by hand?
What do the fuel lines look like? If your going to change the filter do all the lines as well.
Drain and change the oil
Put fresh fuel in
Add the battery fire it up.

Id say be wary of the tyres too if its been stood for that long .. May be perished or out of shape if your planning on driving it.

Other than that .. wake it gently ..

Id check plugs too and maybe a little oil in the bores .. turn it over without spark to build oil pressure then after above advice.. go live!

Hilly

If you have a look on YouTube there's a few good vids of people starting barn find campers. Some of them haven't run for 50years. They also explain the checks they do for spark, fuel etc.

Like this: https://youtu.be/wlkVrWbD6LE

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies, not fired up yet, don't want to rush it, been clearing some room in my garage, see if it will fit. it will be 50 next April and i'd love to get it back on the road for its birthday. Will try and post some pics.

I check the fuel lines and replace as required. Turn it over by hand, make sure there is oil in it, then spin over without the centre dizzy lead in place till the oil light goes out, then fire it up and see what happens :D. If its all good then give it a thorough service.

After that check the brake hoses, make sure the brakes are free, probably best to flush the brake fluid sooner rather than later.

If its been indoors and the tyres were inflated they'll probably be ok, but do visual checks for cracking etc. Any 'standing flat spots' will disappear.

Then go through it bit by bit, checking ball joints, track rod ends, dampers, etc etc. Take it for an MOT if you want a fresh set of eyes.

Latest posts