Grating feeling from steering column

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milfredo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It feels high up and not something related to the steering box (although I was wondering how one tops it up?)

It feels noticeably bad while backing out of the garage but not whilst driving. It seems to be worse when first moving the van. Bearing in the column? Could it all just need a greese?

Annoyingly, I couldn't get my new steering wheel off while checking things out. Any tips?

Could be the top bearing, you can get replacements.
You check the steering box level the same as the gearbox, if you pop the filler cap off and can't feel any fluid it's low.
I use a tool I got from Neil at LiteSteer to remove the steering wheel, undo the nut slightly and then put the tool in the centre of the column and give it a whack.

Could be the top bearing, you can get replacements.
You check the steering box level the same as the gearbox, if you pop the filler cap off and can't feel any fluid it's low.
I use a tool I got from Neil at LiteSteer to remove the steering wheel, undo the nut slightly and then put the tool in the centre of the column and give it a whack.
Cheers sparkywig. I'll check the bearing.

So the steering box filler hole is pretty obvious to find?

I use Penrite steering box lube, it’s quite gloopy, easier to do with the box off. Worth inspecting / changing steering doughnut if you are taking off the box 👍

Use grease. I know a VW place that uses that and no problems. Remember your front wheel bearings are greased so a slow rotational steering box can take that. If you are in any doubt use hi shear grease. And it can be filled with a grease gun too.

Use grease. I know a VW place that uses that and no problems. Remember your front wheel bearings are greased so a slow rotational steering box can take that. If you are in any doubt use hi shear grease. And it can be filled with a grease gun too.
Please don't use grease, we strip boxes that have been filled with regular grease and all that happens is it gets pushed to the edges and no longer lubricates the bearings, we use a semi fluid grease designed for steering boxes on things like LandRovers, it's already been mentioned in this thread, it's made by Penrite and we can supply it if you need it, syringe and tube easily gets in in the box when it's fitted but if you are getting a grating noise I'd suggest a rebuild as that's metal to metal and you will have removed the case hardening on the components.

Jack it up and see if grating noise is actually coming from the box. I have that noise but it is the steering column rubbing on the steering tube on left /right lock because there's no bearing / bushing on the bottom of tube. Another job! As for recommending grease it mixed with the oil already in the box. As always maintenance and periodic checks are the key.

Latest posts