Bumper and Roof Colour Advice and Pics Please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev946

Reaction score
Can someone please confirm the OG colour of the bumpers and pop top for my van. It's a May 71 Westy.

From the link below up until July 1970 bumpers were L581 Cloud White and from August 1970 bumpers where painted L90D Pastel White which is my body colour. Is this correct. Does anyone know of other reference web sites?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It doesn't say what colour the Westy Pop Top was painted. I'm wondering if it was simply the gel colour and not actually painted. I don't think mine has been painted, well not recently but looks similar to Cloud White. Any ideas, is it painted and what colour?

Is there anyone out there with a Pastel White Van with Pastel White Bumpers. If so could you post a picture please. Mine have been painted what I think is Cloud White. I quite like the idea of body coloured bumpers which will look different but would like to see a picture is possible.

Thanks everyone

Mine is an April 71 and has a pastel white (L90D) body all over and bumpers. The original sticker on the passenger (its RHD) bulkhead confirms this (as does the VW birth certificate and M plate codes).

Mine-

Not mine ( I wish!....)

His grill and roundel are painted the wrong colour though - its a non VW colour that the owner said he was going to correct.

See

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also this book

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ctg/VW-Transporter-and-Microbus-Specification-Guide-1967-1979-Vincent-Molenaar-Alexander-Prinz-Paperback-/138656482" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks. My M Plate confirms L90D Pastel white body but it doesn't say what the bumper colour should be.

Your pictures of your bumpers look a slightly difference colour but this is probably just the way the light is reflected. Are they definitely the same?

Cheers

Pastel white body had pastel white bumpers.

Westy roof was - eerm - westy roof colour. The way they came out the factory. Standard they weren't painted in body colour.

I have seen a red westy with the roof done in body colour once. It was done after and not standard but it looked pretty good. The gloss will not be the same however due to the texture of the roof and having to mix plasticiser into the paint to stop it cracking on a non metal surface.

Trikky2 said:
Pastel white body had pastel white bumpers.

Westy roof was - eerm - westy roof colour. The way they came out the factory. Standard they weren't painted in body colour.

I have seen a red westy with the roof done in body colour once. It was done after and not standard but it looked pretty good. The gloss will not be the same however due to the texture of the roof and having to mix plasticiser into the paint to stop it cracking on a non metal surface.

That's what I thought, i.e. not body colour. Does anyone know the best match? Would this be L581 Cloud White. I've read on Sambe that people on there have used Marine grade paint.

Latest posts