Bus not well

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bazzaworld

Reaction score
Sorry I'm not much of a mechanic so I'll try my best to explain the problem
Bus is running terribly, splutters into life when I start up first thing, doesn't have any power, pop pop pop when we drive and have to put foot flat to the floor to get going , black soot in the exhaust and using shit loads of fuel
It used to cruise at 60-65
Now we are lucky to get to 40-45
It's a 1971 Danbury fitted with a T4 2.0 litre engine with twin solex hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did it ever run smoothly?
If yes, what has changed? Any work done to the engine or ancillaries?
Sounds like it is running very rich, which could be loose jet, knackered float/ needle valve etc.
Check there 1st and get back to us.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

The only thing I can think of is a local mechanic set the valves(tappets) these could of been done incorrectly too tight loose, maybe this is the cause?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did it start after he did the tappets? If so, check them again, it is a 30 min job, bit messy but easy to do.
It could well cause rough running, not so sure about the black exhaust, but check and eliminate.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Make sure that the bus is left overnight and is cold before setting the tappets
The black exhaust would normally be the a rich mixture
Look on the net for a view to setting up whatever carbs you gave on your bus
Take the spark plugs out and check the condition

First thing I would check is the wires to the chokes then the rubber elbows on manafolds (under carbs to rear) also points gap.standard fuel pump or lecky one?

Sound like your getting fuel so I'd be inclined to look at ignition. Ignition leads/spark plugs/points/timing adjustment could all be cause of problem with a cheap and easy fix.

Maybe not best practice but myself would pull one lead at a time off distributor or plug (whichever is easier) and if it doesn't get worse on one lead then issue is on that cylinder.

Latest posts