Bus threw a shoe !

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin.sim

Reaction score
About 245 miles into a 250 mile journey my Bus decided the rear wheel was surplus to requirements !!!

All 5 wheel bolts had come out leaving just the wheel arch holding the wheel on ! I'll never drive any distance again without checking they are all tight.

--------------------------------------
Why didn't I buy my bus years ago !?

Happened to me coming back from Ninove in 2011, going 60mph on the M25. Luckily the arch stopped the rear wheel from bouncing off down the motorway.

It's a club nobody wants to join :(

Yep, sure agree with that :shock: Glad all was well though

My '69 decided it didn't want the front passenger side wheel trundling back from Final Fling along the M5 one year. Luckily it survived on the drum brake, with the wheel sailing into the distance Keystone Kop like along the hard shoulder and into the verge.

Bit lucky, and something I don't ever want to repeat. It appears refurbished wheels are sometimes to blame with paint on the thread

I think quite a few people on here have experienced this....often down to freshly powdered coated wheels. You tighten the wheel nuts/bolts onto to powdercoat not the steel of the wheel....after a few miles the powdercoat comes off and the nuts/bolts come loose !!
Glad youre ok and not too much damage done.

Glad no-one was hurt :)

I never do mine especially tight, and have never had a problem. As above, I've heard issues with powdercoating/paint finishes, but my wheels don't have that problem :lol:

I'm sure you guys have thought of this, but when I build anything up, after torquing up the nuts/bolts I use a yellow paint pen to mark the nut/bolt and the surface it's tightening on to, this way at a glance you can see what's going on.
Obviously this doesn't fully replace a spanner check of certain items but it help settle your mind.

martin.sim said:
About 245 miles into a 250 mile journey my Bus decided the rear wheel was surplus to requirements !!!

All 5 wheel bolts had come out leaving just the wheel arch holding the wheel on ! I'll never drive any distance again without checking they are all tight.

Jeez Mart! :| I hope everything is ok buddy. A close call by the sounds! Any major damage caused?
Going to check mine later as a precaution. I certainly dont want in on this club membership!!

--------------------------------------Own a Bay?....... Feel the love!

A mate of mine lost his rear wheel driving up the slip road on the m40 westbound at highwycombe on the old 404 roundabout. The wheel overtook him and cleared the rail, went down the embankment into the fields never to be seen again :? If any one finds a caddy van wheel let me know I'll pass it on :)

My lovely straight rear panel isn't quite so straight now but not that bad, could have been so much worse !!
Just waiting for new bolts to turn up from WestCoast VW before heading home.
If you guys ever have probs in Cornwall Dave at Westcoast is a top bloke

Just joined the club..

Driving back to Dawlish from Totness and things got lumpy. Hopefully just news bolts but the face of the wheel holes looks rough. Will check out tomorrow. Anyone got any bolts in south dvon going spare?

Explains todays new rattle which started on the road. And very glad it was slow speed and on the flat at the time..

Update. Back up and running thanks to the guys at rocksalmon interiors and assmonkey garage Dawlish. Great service and will be taking away one of their custom power management faceplates tomorrow - pic to follow

Must be the worst club to be a member of, hope it's not caused to much damage

weeboll said:
Update. Back up and running thanks to the guys at rocksalmon interiors and assmonkey garage Dawlish. Great service and will be taking away one of their custom power management faceplates tomorrow - pic to follow
Umm..? :msn4:

gvee said:
weeboll said:
Umm..? :msn4:

their name choice! http://www.assmonkeygarage.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts