Caliper mounting bolts don't fit...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwjim

Reaction score
Fitting a new set of calipers / brakes etc. etc. and the bolts supplied in the kit are too large for the spindles. The spindles are meant to be 73- and that's what the bolts were supplied for.

Any ideas? Thanks.

You might have been misled with your spindles. The earlier disc models late70-72 versions used smaller mounting bolts. If you have these spindles you will need early discs too. You can however use later calipers with an 'adapter kit' from JustKampers. I think this is mostly correct.

Cheers

james

oh crap... do the discs not work then if the spindles are actually earlier then? Certainly need smaller bolts. But the discs seem to have bolted up okay...? But obviously not got the calipers on yet to see if the spacing / offsets are okay.

How do the earlier fitments differ? Thanks

If you check out VW Heritage they offer two types of discs, The difference I think is the
'depth' of the flange from the hub bolts to the disc braking service.

Of course you may have early spindles and early discs. Early calipers use smaller mount
bolts/holes and have thinner pads although I must say to a casual glance they do look very similar

Searching the topic here or VZi should yield more details.

Cheers

James

you can buy a conversion kit cheaply which allows fitment of later pads, they were on ebay but i cant find any at the moment

Latest posts