Calling all Beetle experts...UPDATED Friday 7th March!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin & Muttley

Reaction score
Dear All,
I have found a Beetle locally which I want to buy for my wife for her birthday in March, but I have some questions...

It's a '67, will I be able to get parts readily - or will it be like my '72 Crossover which is full of 'one-year'only' parts?

Do bugs like this have an M-Code plate? If so where is it?

The car has been laid up for two years, it's complete and the current owner has started it periodically to ensure that the (original) engine is still sweet. The bodywork is OK, with faded paint and a few patches where he's Hammerited it to keep what little rust there was at bay - all trim is there still as are the original chrome bumpers (Hammerited!). The CO says the floor was welded a couple of years ago and is sound - but I've yet to get under it to confirm - I would imagine there's some welding to do. The engine drain plate has a sheared stud so drips a little oil (not a big fix I don't think). The interior has recovered seats but seems OK, the dash is uncut and all internal trim is there...

So, what's it worth? Obviously there's no MOT but the CO was giving it the 'it's a rare model mate' shpeel :roll:

Help me out here guys, I can store and work on it at my parents so it remains a secret from Joy - is it worth a punt???

Any help apprecaited...

DSC00093-1.jpg

Juss

;)

67's were one year only cars and are very sought after my the cal look community, they consider them the ultimate car for there needs.
Its all about the price I guess?
I have no idea about one year only parts, but Im sure its an issue!

harder to find one year only parts but well worth it tbh,

There are a few in our club and the guys always have a harder time finding bits. 67 1500's are very sought after for the olds looks and the 12v setup.

I would buy it for sure no questions as it is a rare model, hes not lying.

depends how much rust its got.

...going from that pic and if it wasnt hiding any rust, but it looks like its got some, with MOT and not welding required... probably no more than £1.5K afte all it is a project?

i paid £3200 in august for a totally Mint 66' deluxe, OG 6 Volt, no welding, OG paint with a few spots of rust on the door but nothing major.

Justin & Mutley said:
£1.5k - are you serious?

I might have to rethink or re-advertise my kidney!

;)

well its hard to tell with out getting inside and underneath to have a poke around but if all the welding was done and it had MOT, yes about 1.5K

i could do with a new kidney after the pounding they and my liver took at christmas :lol:

Johnnyâ„¢ said:
Justin & Mutley said:
£1.5k - are you serious?

I might have to rethink or re-advertise my kidney!

;)

well its hard to tell with out getting inside and underneath to have a poke around but if all the welding was done and it had MOT, yes about 1.5K

I see - it won't have an MOT when I buy it - and I'll have to do any welding myself, I was thinking mid to high hundreds in non-MOT'd state

;)

Hey J&M.

Go for it!!!

I have a 67 (which I've owned since 94), and back-in-the-day they were "the" cal-look cars to own - but there seems to a glut of them about nowadays :)

Price wise... Would it pass an MOT? If it's sound and doesn't need any urgent work then it's probably worth a little more than say a standard 65 or 66 bug. Maybe around the £3k mark (with MOT)?

If it's a true 67 it'll be a 117 prefix chassis number on an E plate. As for some of the 1yr only parts...
- Door handles: Should be of the round push-button style (bit like 68 bays)
- Doors: I seem to recall 67's having different doors to earlier/later bugs - could be wrong though...
- Rear valence: Check it. If it's rotten you'll be hard pushed to find a replacement.
- Rear decklid: to match the rear valence. Very easy to come by.
- Chrome trim (ext & int): Is of the thin type - bonnet trim I think is/was hard to find
- Interior switches (lights, wipers) were of the larger black rubbery type - as opposed to the previous years off-white style. Note: knobs on 68's and later etc were not the same as the 67.
- Seats: I think the mech to tilt the seat forward (allowing rear passenger access) was a 1 year only... Most 67's I've seen (including mine) have these handles with the top-part snapped off :)

Some more I can think of...
- 67 1500's have the small 4-bolt pattern (discs at front, drums at back). 1200 and 1300 models have the wide-5 pattern.
-US 67's had upright headlights/front wings, whereas the Euro models had the slopers.
- 67's introduced the rear suspension z-bar - which most people junk anyway :)

Off the top of my head I can't think of any more :)

Keep us posted :)

Mike

Offer a seriously low price.

The worst he can do is say no.

If you don't ask you don't get.

I'd say between £500 and £1k in the current condition. Especially if complete and (major) rot free, it'll be nearer the top end of the estimate. The pic looks like a reasonable (nearer the £1k mark) car, and like you say it has had some effort to preserve its condition.

I don't see why UK '67 bugs are more sought after tbh, I prefer the advantages of my '66 which has more of the styling cues of the older cars. I just wish it had the upright lights :(

our club secretarys 67' got 'rear ended' by a set of bull bars on the way to the club AGM a few months ago. i think he had a tricky time finding a deck lid in good enough condition and it cost £1500 to repair.... parts and labour for a smallish dent.

I've got three decklids for my 67.

Two of them are painted up (one's got "eybrows" in it, the other is stock) - and one is a spare :lol:

Tofufi said:
I don't see why UK '67 bugs are more sought after tbh, I prefer the advantages of my '66 which has more of the styling cues of the older cars. I just wish it had the upright lights :(

why upright lights? :? most want the pre 67 sloping lights and looks but the post 67 running gear and engine.

ive seen so many post 67s with sloping light wings put on, most go for the resto cal look, and the sloping lights are an absolute must.

The upright lights and long bonnet combination are unique to the US spec 67 - and look pretty sweet IMO too.

The unique (good looking) combo is a reason why people want this look.

I've often thought of getting a set of fibreglass upright wings for my bug - just so I could change it's style/look quickly and easily 8)

offer £500 and see what happens. My mate bought a late bay a while ago for £50! just saw it on a drive and asked the home owner. Luckily they just wanted it off the drive :D nice :wink:

Johnnyâ„¢ said:
Tofufi said:

why upright lights? :? most want the pre 67 sloping lights and looks but the post 67 running gear and engine.

ive seen so many post 67s with sloping light wings put on, most go for the resto cal look, and the sloping lights are an absolute must.

I simply don't like the look of the sloping lights...

IMO a true resto cal cannot be a post '67 bug and have sloping lights.

Late bugs can be resto cal, however, but only (unless executed very well, such as the '71 - US '67 looker) with upright lights.

I much prefer the US '67 look, but with the '66 decklid and other parts. I'm very tempted to swap mine to run upright wings...

And just to illustrate my post :)

Picture132b.jpg

That's what I would do if I had a late bug. :)

Resto cal is about stock bodywork and accessories... so for me it ought to have the correct headlights. But that's personal preference and I won't get arsey at anyone who has a differing opinion ;)

But, IMO, cars with short bonnets and europa (or even blade) bumpers look a bit odd with sloping wings. I suspect 95% of the general public would not notice the difference.

mcvw said:
...If it's a true 67 it'll be a 117 prefix chassis number on an E plate. As for some of the 1yr only parts...

Yeah, it's an E plate with sloping front lights and longer bonnet (also with petrol filler cap inside bonnet) - I don't suppose you know what prefix the engine should have if it's original do you?

I'm going to go and see the guy again tomorrow and see if I can get him to commit to a price - it seems like it's meant to be, but I don't want my heart to rule my head (too much)...

Thanks for the info...

;)

Latest posts