Calling all Beetle experts...UPDATED Friday 7th March!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J&M id go in low. if its been sitting for 2 years then its gonna need a damn good service, brakes sorting, ie hoses, cyliders etc. you need to have a very good look under the bugger(!) under the back seat and at the heater channels n floorpans, gutters, wheel well.
bugs just arent holding their value at the minute, id be looking at £300ish start price if it needs work and go from there. if it does need work then go home and price it up. its all too easy to buy a car for 500quid and then spends 100s more on panels, welding, paint, electrics and service items.

good luck :wink:

id reckon around £500 ish bugs arent fetching as good money these days everyone is after campers i spotted a cracker on ebay the other week guy had it for 18 years had rear oval panel welded in ,fully resprayed all new rubbers supplied and a set of fuchs car was mint just needed put back together it had a buy it now of a grand and it didnt sell must say i was surprised but then again you cant sleep in it :D buy her a bus better investment

'67's aren't worth what they used to be. Pre 64 is the way to go. Have a long stare at the windows & you will see they are way to big for the car. I had a '65 & just went off it one day after looking at it & seeing it was just wrong!

Look at an oval, & you will see what I mean.

That aside if it is a 1500 it will have a good gearbox, disc brakes & 12v electrics.

A 1300 is just as bad as an older car. As above, go in low & work up. I reckon £500 is about right.

US 67's look cool with the upright lights, but a very acquired taste...

ki agree with pete, is about taste to me the upright lights and long bonnet look like a bit of a frankenstein.

check the doors if they are og they'll rust first, no matter how good the rest of the car is.

just outta my experience i've bought 4 67's in various states of disrepiair and the most i ever paid was £400 but saying that outta the 4 i had to strip and slice 3 of em theirs little bits that are 67 bug only like the window winders(i sold 1 of em for £40!)the decklid ,doors and door handles to name a couple my main advice is check the condition of the a posts, heater channels,bulkhead(behind the pedals) and the framehead(most importantly) because i bought a 67 to restore bought the panels and when i'd cut the old channel and floorpan outta the r/h side i descovered the framehead was only held on by 4 rusty strands of metal if you're not sure about bugs take someone with you who does know and me personally i wouldn't pay more than £500 for a 67 with no mot thats been stood oh and check the rear corners cause they can be a bas**rd to repair hope this helps

Dude, if it needs heater channels (it's a big job...) I've got some reproduction ones for sale :lol:

Good luck with buying it, if it's a good un ;)

OK guys, I checked the bug over today and it appears to be great - very solid underneath with all the tricky parts there (trim, handles etc) - the body needs a bit of work but isn't holed anywhere although the bonnet is a bit ropey...
Anyway, I think it'll get through an MOT without any serious work (in fact I couldn't find anything wrong with it!), I drove it and it's like a dream - pulls well in all gears, stops well, and the engine runs sweet as!
So I've bought it!!! 8) We settled on £600 and I'm picking it up on thursday!!!

Wish me luck (or pray for me) - and remember, don't tell Joy...

Laptop026.jpg

Laptop025.jpg

Laptop024.jpg

Laptop023.jpg

Thanks for all your help guys! 8)

;)

you got yourself a good deal 8) . it looks like a deluxe but someone replace the windscreen rubber with the wrong type?

are you planning a resto on it or driving as is?

Johnnyâ„¢ said:
you got yourself a good deal 8) . it looks like a deluxe but someone replace the windscreen rubber with the wrong type?

are you planning a resto on it or driving as is?

Cheers guys - it is a deluxe, the windscreen rubber needs replacing but the original chrome trim is still there 8)

I think I'm going to drive it straight to the MOT centre to find out what needs doing (if anything :lol: ) - I'll keep you informed...

;)

Haveacamper said:
i'm getting bit itchy to sell my punto and get a beetle.

i did the exact same thing a few years back, none of my 'normal' friends understood why i sold a brand new punto for a bug

as scott says, we have a 67 now too 8)

DSCF0644.jpg

Took the bug for it's MOT yesterday afternoon - it really does drive like a dream! 8)
Obviously it failed :lol: , but nothing major!!! :D

Windscreen washer not pumped up!
Need to find a new beam or repair the current one
Weld in new seatbelt support N/S
Repair near rear suspension mount
High beam N/S not working
Brake lights not working
Replace 1 track rod end
Steering box leaks oil (only an advisory!)

All in all I'm well chuffed, although I couldn't drive it away as there's fuel pi$$ing out of the carb! (Need to give it a tap with a screwdriver handle or something!) - If anyone hears about a cheap ( :D ) solid beam for a '67 bug give me a shout - watching one on eBay but it's in Shropshire and I'm in Hampshire :cry:

Thanks for all your support guys and girls - I know this isn't a bug forum so I'll be keeping posts like this off here if poss, cheers though!!

Juss

;)

P.S. Joy still hasn't got a clue!! :lol: :lol:

Latest posts