Camper and Commercial Mag - Any feedback?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aah, the fabled c&c issue 10 8)

anyway nic, you make some valid, intelligent points, but because the whole thing annoys me so much i don't mind keeping the thread near the top.

the way i see it, you can't complain (and none of the magazine publishers are, it's just me moaning :roll: ) about it being a niche market, if you choose to publish a niche magazine in the first place :?

it's like, let's take half man half biscuit for instance... THE greatest band ever to come out of this septic isle, but they must be resigned now after twenty odd years to the fact that they'll not be troubling *the hit parade* and there'll be the same motley collection of freaks and weirdos at thir gigs, but then what do you expect if you pen songs about len ganley ?

same(ish) with the magazines... of course there are only a finite number of bus-owning or aspiring bus-owner magazine buyers (STOP READING IT IN SMITHS AND PAY THE 50p A WEEK :shock: ) but that applies to every publication doesn't it... i guess the publishers in their wisdom do the equivalent of a business plan before committing to starting up a new mag, and if there's a gap in the market for said publication then go for it... but if there isn't, why start a magazine and then compromise your USP for want of a better expression by including stuff which is so diametrically opposed to the stuff that the bulk of your readership is interested in ?

i love all cars, i really do... true i've lost interest exponentially as the 'modern' car becomes one big amorphous blob and i've got a little 3 year old friend who knows more of their names than i do, to my shame, but if i was visiting for instance the mercedes museum i'd expect to see the odd silberpfeile, the legendary mille miglia car, maybe a DTM classic or two... they're all racing cars... how about a C111... now if there was to be an unveiling, and there was a covered vehicle on a plinth, and a load of strobes and dry ice, and as it's clearly a fantasy unveiling of my own invention i'm gonna have brian eno there as well, maybe he's written a soundtrack especially for the occasion, and they've got the feller with the massive moustache whose name escapes me to whip the cover off, and it was a vito sprinter...

who wouldn't be a trifle disappointed :x

it's a great van, excellent load-carrying capacity and all the rest of it, you could probably even line it with ply, screw a few units in and call it a camper... but somehow, given the somewhat flamboyant nature of the unveiling... i expected more :?

that's kind of the feeling i get when i turn to *those* articles in the magazines... i'd really... *really* rather they had more adverts :roll:

aah, that was cathartic :p

*norbert haug

Sorry to barge in folks, but as a Frenchman living in France, the only thing I can tell you is that you're very lucky people regarding VW magazines !
IMHO, Volksworld is definitely a much better magazine than the French equivalent("Super VW magazine", what a funky name ! ), in terms of articles, photos and even the quality of the paper ( glossier and thicker ) ... for an equivalent price. I got tired of reading reports in the French magazine about meetings that took place 6 or 8 months earlier and cars that were featured in Volksworld a year before.. Volksworld is much more reactive. I like VW Camper and Bus too. I have subscribed to the digital version of VW C & Bus ( much cheaper ), and my brother-in-law got me a subscription to Volksworld for Xmas :mrgreen: Haven't bought the French one in years tough.

As for Camper and Commercial, I am glad when I can get my hands on it every time I come to England ( twice a year ). I don't mind T4 and T5s being featured, as I wouldn't mind having one as my daily driver ;-) I think David Eccles is a very dedicated man to the VW scene, and I love his books too. I also like the nice way he replied in this thread.

That was my humble contribution as a foreigner 8) Be proud of them, your VW magazines are great ! :wink:

well at least this thread has given me the angle for my next editorial page!
AND prompted me to get off my butt and track down some rare special body buses again! Which I have done with some real treats lined up (if you like perving about special bodies that is.)
I'd like to know what features or stories you HAVE enjoyed...
and I have my flak jacket ready to take to Dubfreeze cos I hope some of you come and talk to me!
Not sure I really want to up this thread again but what the heck...

I love special bodies,think my favourite article was the early bay(no shock there!) single cab pickup with the low deck and big side door, 8) in your mag too David.

Another idea is when you review a show just include an early bay or early bay line up in every pic! how could anyone not like that :D

dave, tomorrow, i'm going to rescue my back issues from the *behind the washing machine avalanche* fiasco, and start going through them to list my favourite articles :p

first one, off the top of my head, the sick bus club. *lovely stuff* paul medhurst, what have you got on your feet ? the boy's come on in leaps and bounds it has to be said.

the amescador. wow - i'd never even heard of one... what a great bus.

chewie's barndoor, from the days before everybody started getting all precious about them.

the pale green over dark green over pale green splitty... is it a holdsworth ?

the centrespread of the 4x4 bay.

there have also been some hideous, ghastly buses which all add to the rich pageant that is C&C 8)

what's always attracted me to the magazine is the style of writing, or perhaps the style of the writer... i can't help thinking, and i know i'm right because i'm backed up by the media and friends' & family's opinions that the popularity of the air-cooled VW is cyclical, and right now, no two ways about it, air-cooled buses are 'in'.

you, dave, and your magazine seem to be beyond the reach of fashion... you seem to be writing and photographing and going to print entirely because you love the buses... all your features, and even when you speak about your own bus, just exude a sense of 'i'm really into these... come in and share my enthusiasm'

does anybody agree with that ?

just that sense that you know what you like, you're gonna feature a bus, and isn't it great ? come and have a look... i bet you'll enjoy this rare (insert conversion here).

the competition, and i'm not being arsey; it's just my perception, seem to be a bit like... "whaheeeeeeey loook at us... wooo hooooo... camper vans... eh ? eh ? CAMPER VANS"

there was that period when it seemed like there was a picture of the jiffy bus in EVERY SINGLE MONTH, or a picture of rikki doing a handstand on his roofrack.

*yin and yang*

i still buy both every single month though... we the buying public have a duty to support them 8)

(and i'd rather see rikki on his roofrack than another T4 feature...)

its just going to design today now I have finally finished it!
in the weird way of the mag publishing world its actually the March issue which is published in Feb..and the mag stand at Dubfreeze will also have it..
and thanks for telling me the ones featured you have enjoyed as that helps me focus...

This thread has gone from Strength to Strength , Now i started this to see if i was right or wrong about my thoughts about C an C . Its seems that everyone has something to say about the mag and its crown may have slipped slightly BUT it is still loved by all it seems.

What i would say is this C an C is going to have a big stand at Dubfreeze , Im sure David wouldnt mind all us Early Bayers going to see him and tell him how much we all love the mag .......... AND When is it going Monthly :D

See you at Dubfreeze David :wink:

Deano

Gadget Boy said:
This thread has gone from Strength to Strength , Now i started this to see if i was right or wrong about my thoughts about C an C . Its seems that everyone has something to say about the mag and its crown may have slipped slightly BUT it is still loved by all it seems.

What i would say is this C an C is going to have a big stand at Dubfreeze , Im sure David wouldnt mind all us Early Bayers going to see him and tell him how much we all love the mag .......... AND When is it going Monthly :D

Deano

Agreed! :D

Gadget Boy said:

Deano
Howabout going to see him and then dragging him off to show him all the early bays!
Might start reading the mag then :wink: :wink:

scott wilson said:
MODERATORS....please put this thread to bed :wink:

Only the users can do that by not posting! :lol:

Thread title edited to reflect the thread direction though. Hope thats ok. :)

Clem said:
scott wilson said:
MODERATORS....please put this thread to bed :wink:

Only the users can do that by not posting! :lol:

Thread title edited to reflect the thread direction though. Hope thats ok. :)

NO its Bloody Not ....... Bangs His Fist on Desk

I WILL NOT BE EDITED You F###### B###### And W###### H#########

LMFAO

I think the thread has taken a turn for the better and if nothing else its got People thinking :wink:

Gadget

Ya cant please all the folks all the time :lol:
8)

I F***in loves it!......well I did when I last bought it :mrgreen:

I think I will subscribe at Dubfreeze, Dave has gone up in my estimations and Gadget has upped the Auntie as usual.

This has turned into a positive....but edited title is fine by me....words like crap shit and bollocks should not grace these pages!!!! :lol: :lol:

have been meaning to do an article on cross over EBs for a while now..info features pics etc..
anyone willing to help me? a informative / history piece rather than ind bus features...
is it something worth my while pursuing?

Latest posts