Camper Rag Top

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Tone

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, looking for advise on rag top camper, good or bad?

Thanks T

Hi and welcome.

That is a question with a few answers.

I once replaced my devon pop top with a Paris beetles rag top. It wasn't the best design in the world but it was 100% dry and it was great in the summer to open right up and let the sun in.

If I were to do it again I would try to fit a Golde Sun roof which has a full internal mechanism.

topdown2.jpg

vwoswestry013.jpg

i have a tin top bus. i'd like to make such a conversion to a rag top but i need the dimesnion of the hole, location etc. does anybody have?

gurelk said:
i have a tin top bus. i'd like to make such a conversion to a rag top but i need the dimesnion of the hole, location etc. does anybody have?

I wouldnt bother mate, you could ruin your roof.
Sunroof busses have a fair bit more metal work between the headliner and the roof.
The minute you cut through the strengthning bows in your roof itll sink.
Unless you (or friends) are a dab hand metal fabricator id leave your van as is.

Good luck either way though.

Rich :)

Hoosier said:
gurelk said:

I wouldnt bother mate, you could ruin your roof.
Sunroof busses have a fair bit more metal work between the headliner and the roof.
The minute you cut through the strengthning bows in your roof itll sink.
Unless you (or friends) are a dab hand metal fabricator id leave your van as is.

Good luck either way though.

Rich :)

I wouldn't bother either, buy a bus with a pop-top and fit a sunroof to that.

Latest posts