Campsites NW Spain and Surf spots?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coopster

Reaction score
Right just booked ferry to Santander for a 3week bus adventure in July , done the SW of France a couple of years back so Im familiar with Hossegor , Capbreton Lacanau etc - But I fancy exploring spain this year - anyone got any recommenedations?

Spent a few months around this region in 2012. If you're after surf and a nice campsite, El Camino Surf run a great surf camp in Valdovino near A Coruna on the NW corner. Beginners through to pros. Great vibe. Excellent, friendly campsite with a really nice restaurant. Plenty of space. Very chilled in the peak. 2 min walk to the waves.

Great campsite at Mundaka which is also one of the best lefthand breaks in Europe but other great surfing spots around the area.
Campsite is
http://www.campingportuondo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers Rob.

Nice one cheers ,
Rob I had looked at that one in Mundaka and another one in Noja , ive got 3 weeks so I'll try a few :)

We did this last year, across Spain and up over the Pyrenees into France. I'm not sure if my suggestions will be that helpful if you're planning on staying in NW Spain, but:

Camping La Gorga ( http://www.campinglagorga.com/es/inicio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )is do-able in a day from Santander/Bilbao. We arrived at 11.15PM having been driving flat out through the Spanish countyside for hours round twisty backroads, and were given a warm welcome. It was accessed via a narrow, rickety bridge (below).

DSC_2716_resize.jpg

We had a great time, and found the Spanish drivers tended to be more tolerant of a couple of slow cars than the French were!

DSC_1100.jpg

We also stayed in a couple of campsites nearer to Pamplona, but can't find their details right now. To be honest, we found all of the campsites in Spain to be well equipped, clean and friendly - almost all had swimming pools, too - a real bonus in July. As a group of 6 of us, with a tent, camper and car, we never paid more than 55 Euros for a night, without needing to book. :)

I'm sure you'll have a great time :)

We've also booked to go to same area (In August) - would be really interested on any tips you can give about the place.

You'll be there for the Bull festival in Pampalona...!

just back from 2 weeks camping in Galicia NW Spain - that's a superb beach site at Valdovino near Ferrol = Camping A Lagoa, and there's a great site with its own beach access at Aldan near Pontevedra/Vigo = Francon Camping

and inland at Pola de Somiedo in the Parque Natural Somiedo, SW of Oviedo.

the new LD Lines ferry route from Poole-Santander or Gijon is cheaper than the original Brittany ferries Santander or Bilbao run and is a great way to get to Spain without the long drive down through France...

cheers
rob

Nice one ,
Actually booked up to the following campsites
1st week - Camping Sopelana
2nd week up to Biarritz to Camping Ilbarritz
3rd week back down to Spain to Camping Portuondo

3weeks to go can't wait - only thing is my mates splitty won't be ready so he's taking his 55 bug instead :) and Im on surfboard haulage duty

Yeah and I've booked with LD going and Brittany coming back only cos the dates suited or I would have been LD both ways , couldn't believe how much cheaper it was

We're there from the 20th - we should overlap a few days, depending on our mood and when/if we decide to move on!

We were there two years ago. It's a decent site, yes, not as plush as French sites but pleasant and comfortable enough with a decent restaurant that seems to be more popular with the locals than the campers!

If you're a surfer, the closest beach is literally two minutes walk away and there are a few bars down by the beach too, although the surfers last time round went to a beach a couple of minutes further down the coast. The walk to Sopelana itself is about 10-15 mins and from there you can get the tram right into the middle of Bilbao in 20 mins. for your fill of pinxtos and kalimotxos!

Our pics from last time are here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/blogdroed/sets/72157631117590700/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See you there! ;)

Nice one , I'll keep an eye for you :) Ill be in my westy and my mate will be in his 55 oval complete his with wife 2kids and a 48ida motor (nutter).

Latest posts