Can anyone answer me a few Westy-related questions?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moseley

Reaction score
Hello folks,

Well, we lasted only a month without a bay before the hunt for another one began! :D On the hunt for a Westy, looking for a project that involves minimal to no welding, and ideally OG paint. Anyway, been to view our first one today to get an idea of what we can get for our money, but this has also thrown up a few questions.

So firstly, the front of the roof has a clip that I presume is to accept a toggle, although not sure why it would need one. The clip can be seen in the photo below, and I believe it to be in it's original position. However, it does not line up with the screws on the fibreglass section and is about an inch or so to one side. Can anyone shed some light?

Secondly, there are 3 holes on the inside of the roof, they can be seen just about, to the left of the hammock hinge. Again, they look OG - any idea what they're for?

Thirdly, there is a remote oil filter that you can see just above the distributor here. I should have had more of a root around at the time, but I've never seen one in this location - is it an aftermarket kit or something else?

And finally, the bus was started using a push button. The key went to position 2 as normal in the ignition barrel, however, was then started using a button tucked just under the dash. Is this normal for an American import or an addition due to a faulty barrel?

Appreciate any pointers!

I've seen a few buses with an external front toggle , it stops the wind lifting the roof but I don't think they are factory.

The remote oil filter and push button are both previous owner modifications.

Front toggle is not original along with the three holes in the roof.

Appreciate your help - concerned slightly over the ignition button, what is the availability like for original ignition barrels with keys? Or can broken ones be repaired?

You can get pattern parts or NOS ones - I think Kieft and Klok in Holland have some of the latter and have 10% off this month

There are normally 2 rivets in the centre of the front fibre glass roof, which has a clip on the inside! And this locates into another bracket fixed to the metal cab roof (sometimes i think this part is missing and has never been present ) when the roof is down!

Great looking van. Looks like mine has found its twin. Welcome to the 71 Sierra Yellow Westy club! :lol:

Ref the Ignition and basing it on my 1970, you can buy the electrical part from heritage, i think around £19, that way you use the same key.

Latest posts