Can I use this Beetle dizzy?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james_stan

Reaction score
Hi All

My 1776 DP with 32/36 progressive is currently fitted with an 009. It runs Ok and advances Ok too, so I am not that keen to change inspite of the bad press the 009 gets.

However I found a Vac advance dizzy a box of stuff the other day Bosch number 023 1170 034 which according to old volkshome list is from a 1974 Beetle 1600. It states that it offers 20-25 degrees total advance half generated by vacuum (presumably this equates to engine load) and half by speed (centrifugal).

Does anybody know if these characteristics would suit a bus and even if I can get enough 'suck' from the Weber ?.

Cheers

James

Well, it is designed to fit a late 1600 engine, according to the old volkshome and the specs seem to be very similar to the one fitted to my 1641, so give it a try. I have gone from a Bosch 009 to a stock dissy on twin baby Dell'ortos and it has made a world of difference.

Thanks I may well try it on a trainy (or maybe sunny) day- it would mean going back to points though as I have pertronix on the 009..

Cheers

James

Latest posts