Which dizzy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam1970bay

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Camper
I currently have a 009 dizzy, I use to have a electric version with vac. That just died as many have said it would.
I have a Webber 32/36 progressive carb. Runs ok, bar when warm and slow moving it goes loud and sound like it’s racing, I believe it could be air leek( there is a bolt in the air pipe and cable tire, )

What vacuum advanced dizzy is recommended?

Best distributors around now are the Dutch 123 or the CSP ‘Pacemaker’ which is a more stock looking version. That's the one I have.

I used to use Pertronix 009 Flamethrower and had no problems with that one over several years.IMG_0896.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve got an 009 in mine <<< that rhymes :unsure:
It’s getting on a bit and I don’t believe it’s advancing all the way now. I’ve had it out and had an argument with him and lubed him up a bit more inside but the timing light is doing the Watusi when it’s on, looks a bit like a disco. So I’ve been doing the same as you and casting out and chatting to peeps about distributors and ignition set ups. Herein lies the problemo. Virtually every brand has had a brilliant reputation at one time or another but most of them have ended up as chop suey in the noisy cupboard with the refinements of an aging hooker as they fail. Some of the failures can be attributed to incorrectly installing and wiring in but most unfortunately seem to be from poor manufacturing. I’m looking at an 009 version of a 123 for mine. I didn’t realise there were some made by a Dutch company, so that’s a new one on me or is it just the supplier ? And all the advance curves in the world are available on these but 99.999% seem to settle on number 2.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, just gotta kick myself into forking out :)

I’ve got an 009 in mine <<< that rhymes :unsure:
It’s getting on a bit and I don’t believe it’s advancing all the way now. I’ve had it out and had an argument with him and lubed him up a bit more inside but the timing light is doing the Watusi when it’s on, looks a bit like a disco. So I’ve been doing the same as you and casting out and chatting to peeps about distributors and ignition set ups. Herein lies the problemo. Virtually every brand has had a brilliant reputation at one time or another but most of them have ended up as chop suey in the noisy cupboard with the refinements of an aging hooker as they fail. Some of the failures can be attributed to incorrectly installing and wiring in but most unfortunately seem to be from poor manufacturing. I’m looking at an 009 version of a 123 for mine. I didn’t realise there were some made by a Dutch company, so that’s a new one on me or is it just the supplier ? And all the advance curves in the world are available on these but 99.999% seem to settle on number 2.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, just gotta kick myself into forking out :)
It’s a hard working component in the noisy cupboard. Do it Ozzie, you won’t look back!

+1 for the 123, it works well with the Dual Webers and 1641SP on mine. I have the Bluetooth tuneable model running a modified curve that suits it very well. VWjim is a UK distributor of 123’s (see what I did there) so that should cut out all that import duty malarkey that I got my hat nailed on with 🙈

IMG_6675.jpeg

Latest posts