can you use electrical hookup in uk on american imports?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Small Face

Reaction score
Hi,
I know that the american imports run at 110 volts, and out camp sites are at 240 v.

is it as easy as buying an adapter to go on the lead from the camp site hook up to the van pin or is it a case of the van needing to be re-wired to uk spec?

And if it is re-wired to uk spec would an original U.S fitted fridge/appliance still work when everything else changed to 240 v?

I've not done this yet but it's something that I've been looking in to and whilst you'll be able to make an adapter cable to let you use the external hookup you'll have to completely rewire the internals with a UK spec RCD unit as the existing wiring won't carry the extra load. You can get a US spec plug from here: http://www.vwbusparts.freeserve.co.uk/vwbus/westfurn.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I don't actually know who the guy is who runs the site but someone recommended him either on here or VZi or the Samba, can't remember where!

Cool-can the fridge still be re-wired to work off our wiring as is an american import (does this mean it would be an american appliance?

Surely it must be possible to run an american import on a uk campsite other wise what happens with all the americans who bring their new rvs over to tour england?

Ive got a Westy Campmobile,what I did is bought hookup lead from a camping shop and changed over the socket that plugs into the van for an American one.Then replaced the socket inside the van with a metal 13 amp socket from B&Q,also renewed the wires between the two (less than 12" long).I havnt got a LCD ,but if I needed one I could plug a small one into the 13amp socket also from B&Q.Ive found this OK for me.
With the fridge I think you would need a transformer 240v- 110v.

I would rewire it to UK spec. I am not sure if the US one uses an earth. That can't be good for a start.

I was asked by a customer to have a look at their van as they were getting a tingling in their hands from the door handles with the hook up plugged in. I declined the offer!

Use an RCD & UK sockets. The fridge will need a 240 - 110 converter.

I put an inline UK 240V to US 110V apliance transformer and its worked for me runs fridge ok and I use a 4 gang socket with is connected to the hook up the I plug the transformer into the 4 gang and that runs the original westy electrics, I use the other 3 plugs with an RDC to run things like a fan heater.

I accidentally ordered 2 of the transformers so it your interested will sell at cost with was about 15 quid plus postage.