Canvas Opinions

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacebiscuit

Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone got any opinions/experience of Wesfalia canvas? There seem to be two type available, a tan colour selling for around £170 and an orange one which is around £350.

I used to own a bus with a tan canvas which in my opinion was fine and very good quality, but I have no idea if the current tan canvas is of the same quality.

Buy cheap and buy twice is on my mind, but the difference in price is so drastic - what more am I getting for my money?

Thnaks in advance.

J.

The Orange one is a whole lot better than the Tan, I think the Tan one went to the warmer countrys..... I know Phil & Andy from Wolfsburg's classic parts and they sold both, I don't know if they still do but are genuine nice chaps and they will give you the run-down on them if you got in touch.

I fitted a tan canvas when I first imported my bus from the states, but after 13 yrs was looking very ropey. Fitted an orange 1 when j did the resto and I’m very happy with the quality.

We will only fit the Wolfsburg West ones supplied by Schofields, seen far too many of the cheap ones tear and having trying to fit one for a customer said we would refuse to fit another one. Pays your money and takes your choice.

I fitted a cheaper one to my 69mwesty, then changed it to a wolfsburg west one (tan) - which was far superior and you could deffo tell the difference!

K@rlos said:
I fitted a tan canvas when I first imported my bus from the states, but after 13 yrs was looking very ropey. Fitted an orange 1 when j did the resto and I’m very happy with the quality.
Where was the orange canvas from and have you got any pictures of it fitted please?

Hi,

I just arrived and I wanted to thank you because I'm very interested!

If you are asking about quality, then I would recommend my deep yellow custom and commercial pop top canvas. £400, but it is super warm at night, has a double zip to access the roof rack and a mosquito net. Down side is that insects love the colour (outside only) and mine developed black mildew one winter. They are impossible to fix after that, so mine needs replaced and I'll most likely get the same one.

As for correct colour, I've been told that it should be tan, but I based my van on it's original US sales brochure which is deep yellow and looks much nicer in my opinion.

I had a small amount of mildew a few years ago and used some cool boiled water and a nail brush on it. Allow to dry then vacuum it to remove the mildew.
Maybe if it’s really bad this may not work though. I had forgotten to treat the canvas with Graingers waterproofing that needs doing every few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I really should have scrolled.. I asked this question today - this answers it!

Looks though Wolfsburg west or custom and commercial win, depends on colour and availability. Tan is probably the way to go for me as yellow with an ultramarine blue bus and white roof is probably a bit loud!!

I’d prefer grey, but the grey ones look a bit cheap in terms of quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts