Canvas replacement on 1971 Dormobile pop top

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucko270

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
T2 Dormobile 1600
Hi everyone,

I am new to the site and wanting some advice please. I have just purchased a 1971 T2 Dormobile type campervan. I need to replace the material on the side elevating pop top. Has anyone got any advice on how to do this please or links to videos etc.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Thank you

Pete

Hi Pete,

As A Dormobile owner I would advise you to check out the Dormobile web site, good for hard to come by bits although expensive.
There is a company in the south east that does tops, can not for the life of me remember their name, sorry.
I noticed you used the word canvas/material, personally I would advise against it , the hard plastic one is easier to clean and
no mould build up if stored for long periods in the closed position. It's great in summer also nice and cool with the top vents open.
If you are winter camping there are two options, firstly pull the top down last thing at night before going to sleep, helps keep
the heat up. Secondly the company is the SE also do an insulated cover for the top, a bit high to get up to to put on.

If I find the name I will post, however I am sure someone will be along soon to assist.

Hope this helps.

J & P
:D :D :D

J&P

Thank you for your reply which is very helpful. I did intend to get the plastic type material one as someone had suggested that the canvas ones are only really suitable in climates that have little rain! I have found one on a site called proud to pop.co.uk which is £385. Obviously you have to fit it yourself or pay and find someone to do it for you. I was hoping to try it myself if I could find the instructions and hopefully a video that shows how it’s done?

Regards

Pete

I fitted my own and when I did it 5 years ago I was a novice. It wasn’t difficult as I remember I fitted it to the Pop top roof first using stainless steel nuts and bolts make sure you protect the paintwork. I then attached The pop top to the Van roof then Tucked it under and attached the aluminium strips cut the excess etc. It wasn’t hard I used a piece of metal like a needle to pierce the material before pushing the bolt through. There was a sticky on JK on how to do it but that site has gone.

It is one of those radio on chill out and take your time jobs.

The PO of my bus got the roof done by Dormobile. Although it was quite expensive (I have the receipts) it's completely waterproof, and looks great - EXCEPT for the part where they shut the roof when the paint wasn't dry yet, which marked the inside canvas quite badly. Muppets. Now I have to try to figure out how to remove 5-6yr old paint from plastic without damaging it.

TL;DR - Go to Dormobile but if you let them do it, check it BEFORE you drive away.

Thank you for your responses. I think I will buy the plastic replacement bellows and have a go at doing it myself. It would still be very useful if anyone could find some instructions or a video for me to follow.
Cheers
Pete

I've just bought a new dormobile "canvas" (plastic) from Proud To Pop for our 1970 T2. They're up in Newcastle. Dormobile do a canvas version but we thought that would cause issues if put away wet without time to dry off. We don't have a garage...
Getting it fitted by people local to us doing other work on the van as hell would freeze over before I attempted something like that... might be worth asking around anyone local to you if they know of someone that could fit or help? We needed various work done & it turned into a long list of can you fit/mend/install & they didn't say no to anything. They don't market themselves as just VW restorers as they do pretty much anything...

Bucko270 said:
Hi everyone,

I am new to the site and wanting some advice please. I have just purchased a 1971 T2 Dormobile type campervan. I need to replace the material on the side elevating pop top. Has anyone got any advice on how to do this please or links to videos etc.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Thank you

Pete
I got mine done by Pete O'Connor at Space Roofs near Exeter. I drove down there, left the van with them a few days and then went to collect.

Good thing is, he uses sail material which is completely water and wind proof and very durable and won't crack or split. I went for a plain grey but other colours were available.
673274524bdb20fe98d4349c829fcb49.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Latest posts