CB Radio

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mr scoops said:
I have 2 x modern digital CB's and don't seem to have the option of checking the SWR........

You check the swr on a swr meter, and its changed by adjusting the height of the aerial (you should find one or 2 tiny grub screws on the aerial for this) i have seen some that come pre swr`d in, but i would always get one that you need to adjust. Only takes a few mins to do and gives you a whole world of better range etc. :mrgreen: 8)

Ah ok, I thought there was a switch on CB's to do this, but this switch is not there on my units.

Some old "rigs" had this feature but you are better getting a proper SWR meter. You adjust the antenna length as stated above to get it to the correct length for the transmit frequency. Best to do this on the Middle band for best average.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

jonboylaw said:
Some old "rigs" had this feature but you are better getting a proper SWR meter. You adjust the antenna length as stated above to get it to the correct length for the transmit frequency. Best to do this on the Middle band for best average.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Oh yea forgot that, do it on channel 20 for best results 8)

mr scoops said:
I have 2 x modern digital CB's and don't seem to have the option of checking the SWR........

Hi mate, you need a separate vswr meter, and if it`s still the same procedure, then you install it between your CB and antenna jack and adjust your vswr by `tuning` your ariel so it averages out over the forty channels, not sure what the acceptable limits are on these modern FM jobbies, if your radio isn`t tuned sufficiently , it can cause fairly serious damage to your transceiver. I don`t know anyone that has one any more, but I bet Senor Ebay knows someone :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Gotta sort mine too :lol:

I have one in my Westy. We use them on caravans. Makes traveling in a group much more pleasant.! :D

I installed mine on my homemade under dash shelf. I ran the wire out the drain hole at the front of the bus, then ran it along the bottom back to the aerial in the back. Here are some pics.

The aerial,

I am told that this set up is "directional". Since I don't talk to a lot of people and only use it for talking to other in our caravan, I don't think I really notice anything. LOL I do know that it does pic up people with strong signals. I have heard people from Texas, and Louisiana from time to time. Obviously they can't hear me, and I believe it just depends on the air waves at that giving time. All in all, the set up works for me. :D

ozziedog said:
mr scoops said:

Hi mate, you need a separate vswr meter, and if it`s still the same procedure, then you install it between your CB and antenna jack and adjust your vswr by `tuning` your ariel so it averages out over the forty channels, not sure what the acceptable limits are on these modern FM jobbies, if your radio isn`t tuned sufficiently , it can cause fairly serious damage to your transceiver. I don`t know anyone that has one any more, but I bet Senor Ebay knows someone :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Gotta sort mine too :lol:

[excited]I'll go and have a look at what Señor Ebay has got up his sleeve![/excited]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWR-PWR-Power-Meter-1-100W-Patch-Lead-Cable-for-CB-Radio-/251381442424?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a87806778" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks perfect, and comes with a patch lead too which you`ll need to set it up. Don`t forget to take it off after even if the brochure tells you to leave it in, even if it looks extra groovy with another dial swinging about. Go for the cheapest one you can get because you don`t need the power function, because that`s like putting your lawn mower on a rolling road for a though tweeking :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, A.K.A. The Wizard Of Oz

Reviving a year old thread I know, but did not think it was worth creating a new one.

Just installing an old CB in my bus this week, and am wondering if its worth putting together a list of everyone's 'handles' who are on the EB forum. So you know if you've picked up a signal from a fellow early Bayer?

I would start, but I haven't got the foggiest what my handle could be yet haha!

Mine used to be snowball - but hey - were going back to 1979 here :lol:
I still have it somewhere in a box complete with a stealth telescopic arial that was made to look like a normal car arial and has a splitter box so the car radio runs off it as well. CB's were illegal back then. :msn4:

I still got a straight forty down the garage somewhere, but I`m afraid it is medium flavour because like Trikky, I too was a naughty little chap and was messing about with all that naughty stuff like burners and Avanti Signum 4s and side banders and all sorts of slightly illegal goings on. My Tranny (van) had a twelve foot scaffold tube through the roof and into the floor with a Signum 4 on top and that was twenty seven foot tall from memory plus whatever realistic gain we were getting from our amps allegedly a thousand watts :shock: :? :shock: Used to upset the tellies apparently :lol: Oh what fun we had :mrgreen: C. Q.,, C. Q. D. X. Plus all the local mucking about, absolutely brilliant ;)

Wizard Of Oz,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, You`ll never guess what my handle was :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just bought myself a new aerial for mine, so I can use it again :) Had a brief conversation on my last attempt, with a gentleman who called himself "Fat T..at Bob" who was arrested for Sodomy, or so he claimed.

Now I just need a good CB handle... I used "Occasional Table" Last time, which I inherited from my father, but looking to sort myself a unique name. Thinking about "Astonishing Bum Queen" from an old TV program... But still not "mine".

Haha, excellent. Had mine in the bus for a couple of days now. Just about picked up a bloke on the M18 (albeit very quiet and noisy) today, I assume he was somewhere near J3 but couldn't quite make that out and not sure he could here me.
Not bad going considering its about 30 miles from me!

Not sure about the midlands, but there seems like quite a lot of activity on an afternoon/evening around West Yorkshire; the majority appear to be on home bases though.

I've not heard one person use a 'handle' yet though, everyone seems to be chatting on a first name only basis. There are probably that few people on the air its not worth having a Handle!

Sent from my Siswoo C55 using Tapatalk

From what I have observed for the last year, it pretty quiet, a friend who uses it more than me tells me a lot of people are on AM now since they legalised it

Latest posts