Certifying a Propex by a Gas safe engineer

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daverob73

Reaction score
I've heard Propex heaters in 'caravans' must be installed and signed off by a Gas Safe registered fitter. Failure to do so is a criminal offence.

I've also heard from other people installing it yourself is not a problem but you need it signed off by a gas safe engineer.

But Propex say a Propex heater only has to be certified by a gas safe engineer if you are going to hire the camper out. If it's your van and you aren't making money by hiring it then you can do what you like.

Obviously for safety reasons you might want someone who knows what they're doing to make sure you wake up in the morning and check it out but finding someone who can certify it is difficult and is it neccessary anyway!

Anyone else know the facts what can and can't be done?

Went to the Calor gas centre to buy the bottle and regulator. They said Propex are right. Get a gas safe engineer that works with LPG to check if you want peace of mind. No legal requirement if you're not hiring it out.

Hi
Thought i clear this up i am a gas safe engineer and you need an engineer like myself who has the qualifations for LPG i am only qualifed to work on natrual gas ie gas in your homes so just ask for the gas engineers licence as it will be listed on there.

Work of advise ALLWAYS use an audible co alarm not those silly visual ones your a long time dead and visual one wont wake you up.

Jimbo

there is no legal requirement to have a gas safe registered guy fit or sign it off unless the vehicle is for hire or reward !

if you do want it signed off you'll need to find someone is the caravan industry with gas safe qualification for LPG.. a regular plumber/gas bloke wont be able to unless he has the LPG part on his registration

so you can fit it yourself if you wish, perfectly legal.. actually a pretty easy job, just buy some gas leak detector spray and once installed spray it on all the joints, if it bubbles up tighten them if it doesn't its fine ;)

Hemi
you seem more clued up on the LPG law, seems a bit crazy to me!! you can fit your own without any experience? what ever you do guys NEVER mess about with your gas at home a can of leak detection spray is not gonna help

:cry:

jimbo

It would sense to get a qualified experienced fitter whether it's law or not!

You don't want to wake up dead. :shock:

I spoke to the gas safe register, who confirmed signing it off is only for hiring it out, but they advised getting a LPG qualified gas safe engineer look at it too. He came and tested with something that sounds like a giger counter, he said no leaks, and was all ok. He worked out I needed to cut two holes in the floor :shock: to let any gas escape and I installed a CO2 audible alarm. Feel happy now :D

I have related question... I've fitted a combined smoke/co detector, although it's fairly easy to test the smoke side of things, how can I go about testing CO detection? Just to be sure it's all ok...

Cheers,
Jim

the_troupster said:
I have related question... I've fitted a combined smoke/co detector, although it's fairly easy to test the smoke side of things, how can I go about testing CO detection? Just to be sure it's all ok...

Cheers,
Jim

http://www.safelincs.co.uk/detectagas-co-detector-tester/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jimbo4861 said:
Hemi
you seem more clued up on the LPG law, seems a bit crazy to me!! you can fit your own without any experience? what ever you do guys NEVER mess about with your gas at home a can of leak detection spray is not gonna help

:cry:

jimbo

Jimbo

my gas leak detector spray comment refers to the systems in a camper/caravan not household gas systems, in fairness i'd be pressure testing the system once fitted but not everyone is able to do that... suggesting an audiable alarm would be a good idea for the future as you mentioned

I don't make the rules im afraid, obviously having it fitted by an experienced person is common sense but there is no legality to do so.. unless the vehicle is for hire or reward then it needs to be dealt with by someone with gas safe LPG, I believe it just has to be signed off not actually fitted by said gas safe guy

My gas detector spray was water and fairy liquid!! :lol:

2 gas drop outs, 1 near bottles under buddy seat, 1 next to the propex, + alarm.

gas guy at our work checked it but said he didnt cover motorhomes.
but I feel safe with the steps ive took.

myvanway 69 said:
My gas detector spray was water and fairy liquid!! :lol:

2 gas drop outs, 1 near bottles under buddy seat, 1 next to the propex, + alarm.

gas guy at our work checked it but said he didnt cover motorhomes.
but I feel safe with the steps ive took.

My mates a Gas Engineer. He told me you shouldnt use washing up liquid,If you havent mixed it correctly,the right consistency,it can 'temporary' seal up any leaks in the system.

I fitted my Propex myself. i tested for leaks using a gas detection spray. Then my mate tested it for Carbon Monoxide readings inside the Bus.

Ive also fitted a gas/carbon monoxide alarm. Vent in floor.

Latest posts