Charlie - My 68 deluxe - now with fresh paint

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockandrollcamper

Reaction score
Hi All,

After mostly loitering in the background for a good while I thought it was about time I introduced you to the bus.

A bit of background:
I've wanted to own an aircooled vw bus since I went to cornwall with my parents as a boy and nearly 20 years later I got my wish. I spotted her for sale on a local forum last year but at the time had no intention of buying a bus because I was saving for my first house with my Girlfriend.
However, you know how it is, the usual story - It was too good to miss blah blah blah. . . . . . . . .
After a few days of deliberating and hinting/waiting on the boss to say those immortal words “Well if you really want it . . . ” I went for it.

Anyway, heres some photos from the day I handed over the cash.

GetAttachment.jpg

GetAttachment11.jpg

GetAttachment45.jpg

45.jpg

12.jpg

1.jpg

As you can see from the photos, I dont think shes had an easy life but she was cheap and pretty solid with only a little bit work needed to the footwells, seat belt mounts and below the windscreen.

Id like to be able to show you the "after" pictures but unfortunatley (for the bus that is) as mentioned, I was buying a house at the time so she's had to be patient and sit for a year whilst we got settled in and I gathered some money together.

Now, its time to get my finger out ans get started
Plan is pretty predictable: sort out the welding, respray,lower,alloys and camping interior.

Anyway, wish me luck, keep posted and feel free to pitch in with any comments along the way. I know your a good bunch and all support will be greatly apprecated.

Cheers
Nigel

Looks good. Bet your boss was well pleased when you told him you wanted the money for a Bus :mrgreen: .
Always a struggle to get started on a Mortgage. How long has it been in the UK? Wares it from? Have fun with the welding 8) .

Rich

Cheers for the replies. I must admit although shes not currently a pretty sight im over the moon with her. I just cant wait to really get my teeth into it.Welder and all.

I dont know an awful lot about the vans original spec and location as Ive yet to check the M plate but I do know shes a 68 and the last registration was Vancouver Washington in 2005. On my to do list is to mail the previous owner to see whether he can shed anymore light. I got her September last year literally the day it arrived from the docks.

Thanks again for th replies. Im hoping to get a good start this weekend so will update you with pictures as things develop.

Nigel

Nice to see the bus Nigel , keep us up to date with progress , 8)

Denis the Deluxe ???

Well after almost 2 years of ownership and a year since my last post I thought Id give you all a little bit of an update. Been a busy year in so many ways ( I know its always a good excuse) but a month or so ago I eventually got some quotes from a few local resto/paint guys and decided to get stripping!!

Anyway, heres some pics - hopefully over the coming months thnigs should get more interesting.

20062009057.jpg

no surprises here

canon177.jpg

canon174.jpg

I found a fair few quarters along with some "ladies things"

canon170.jpg

canon181.jpg

canon182.jpg

Took my first engine out

canon188.jpg

Now ready for the bodyshop. Not bad for a weekends work on my driveway.

What engine type does this look like ? ? And whats missing ? ?

canon187.jpg

canon186.jpg

Looking good. 8)

Engine looks like a Type 1 twin port.
Jubilee clips missing on the fuel pipes, but remove the fuel filter from the engine bay please - should just have the one above the gearbox area ;)

gninnam said:
Looking good. 8)

Engine looks like a Type 1 twin port.
Jubilee clips missing on the fuel pipes, but remove the fuel filter from the engine bay please - should just have the one above the gearbox area ;)

Cheers for that. The engine bay looks like it has suffered from a fire at some point so you would think the previous owner would have learnt there lesson!

Good luck brother. Well done in removing the engine. Looks fine to me, but as gninnam said, get rid of that filter from the engine bay.

thats probly a 71 as fan housing has pipe for carbon canister and its a twinport.check engine code.looks a nice base to start from,doing a dec 67 at work now . :D

I concur..... The front breast plate (in front of the fan shroud) is incorrect.... It's a TI deal... Wont work on the Bus.... A Bus one is squarer on the ends to match the firewall... Also... The air filter is totally wrong.... Obviously..... :roll: And as 67Panel said.... And excellent base for your bus...

Thanks for the replies. Weather has been well and truley grim up here so the guy hasnt been able to make as much progress as he would have liked but Im still happy with the way its looking.

The front floors have gone from this

DSCF1628-2.jpg

to this

DSCF1677.jpg

DSCF1675.jpg

DSCF1679-1.jpg

DSCF1678-1.jpg

and the rest of the exterior has had most of its initial prep done

DSCF1671.jpg

DSCF1672.jpg

DSCF1673-1.jpg

DSCF1674-1.jpg

Colour has been decided today. Originally when I bought it in September 2008 I wanted to go lotus white . I still love it but I just thought seeing as there are already alot of great looking Lotus bays about Id go for something a little different.

So, thats what im doing. Its still a VW colour, Its still period (ish) but its not a bus colour.

I shall keep it a surprise for now. Im a little nervous to say the least but I like it (in my imagination) so hopefully it will turn out nice. Once the final prep is done the painting will start so watch this space dudes!!

Looks like some great progress is being made. Will be great to see Charlie restored to his former glory.

From the pics you've posted, there doesn't appear to have been much done to him in the past, so in all looked to be quite a solid bus. Lots (including mine) seem to be full of patches and filler.

Keep posting pics of the progress!

Well fellas, its been far too long since I offered up an update so I thought id give you a few photos since its been painted. Like I said earlier. Some of the purists might not be to keen but boo hoo Im pleased with the results.

christmas019.jpg

christmas005.jpg

christmas003.jpg

christmas013.jpg

christmas017.jpg

christmas015.jpg

When I got the bus back earlier in the year I had hoped the project to have progressed alot further on than it surrently stands but unfortunately Ive had my arm in plaster for the last 10 weeks as a result of a snowboarding accident so im out of action at the minute. On the upside, its given me loads of time to fish around for more parts and ideas so once im semi functional things should progress fairly quickly. Every cloud and all that. :)

Cheers for looking