Chianti Westy Crossover on ebay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aspro

Reaction score
An amazing find. If it is in fact unrestored, I'm just gobsmacked. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/An-Unrepeatable-Type-2-VW-Camper-Westfalia-Campmobile-with-Only-12-769-Miles-/281195575565?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item41788ff90d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This was my favourite bit of the vehicles history.

A Mr W B Earl acquired the vehicle in July 2003 for personal use, however in 2006 he took the vehicle to renowned Volkswagen collector Keith Bingham asking him to lower the van and fit a new interior. Mr Bingham point blank refused to commit such an automotive atrocity and even went as far as refusing to hand back the vehicle! Instead, he offered to complete the conversion for Mr Earl on another vehicle and purchased this himself. Part of his collection until February 2012 when his good friend, Mr Ronald Brown, managed to convince Mr Bingham to sell the camper to him. Mr Brown, another diehard fan and collector of Volkswagens, having had many classic vehicles of his magazine and club book featured has decided to pass this truly exceptional vehicle on in order to make way for other ‘must have’ purchase!

Please keep the comments civil guys. Yes it is priced on the high side but I don't want this to become a slagging match as I've seen recently on other forums. Just wanted you all to appreciate how time can be very kind to some.

Lots of nice options on it, id love a side step. shame its only a type 1 motor though being a 72.
Its local to me i may go and have a look at it. :smile:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

It is lovely indeed. 8)
They sell some nice stuff at KGF, and are on my favorites list.
They'd been 'teasing' us for a few days, with just a couple of brief glimpses of the bus, before getting the full listing on!

Their vehicles don't hang around long either! :)

Lovely van, love the ambulance step and I'd always wondered what the hook was for on the wardrobe!

Although the major thing wrong is not the van it's the awning.. It's for a RHD! :lol:

I like the way Keith took it off the fella :lol:
It's a real nice van like, I had a little shot at VolkspowerV in July, was 8) to drive something so like new :D

849.jpg

848.jpg

839.jpg

Bairn doesn't look too impressed like!!! :lol:

837.jpg

aspro said:
Trying to figure out what makes it a RHD awning. Help me out please.

This is a Left Hand Drive Westy Tent, the tents are designed to fit towards the back two/thirds of the van so the front door can still be opened. The sliding door opens into the corner flap you can see on the right. So basically once the roof strip is fitted to the gutter and the surrounding flaps are tied to the van you have a nice entrance/exit from the van which is fairly water/wind proof

636710.jpg

This is a RHD version which is basically a mirror image of the above

null_zpsd6940975.jpg

I guess you can fit a RHD awning to a LHD but it will fit towards the front two/thirds of the van so you would not be able to open the front door and you would not have the nice fit and you would not be able to fit the flap on the side as the sliding door would run into it (and probably tear the canvas) so it would baiscally be a pain in the arse to operate the sliding door and it would not look right or function correctly

The advert in the ebay advert is sly as the tent is put up in the rear two/thirds position like a LHD would be but you wouldn't actually be able to get in and out of the van as the hole wouldn't line up to the sliding door lol :lol: the angles of the pictures conveniently don't show this.
Its obviously not the original awning supplied from new with the van imo..

Still a bloody lovely van

Latest posts