Cigarette Lighter!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldie

Reaction score
I wonder if any one can help me! I recently fitted a 12v Cigarette lighter straight to the spare fuse on the fusebox of my 1970 van! This at the moment has a 8 amp fuse in it. My problem is when i depress the lighter it blows the fuse straight away!! Do I need a bigger fuse or is there a problem elsewhere? Dont want to try the fuse on the off chance and fry the wiring!

Any suggestions would br greatly received!

Goldie

try a box of matches friend or zippo lighter :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigger fuse should resolve the situation 8)

ste

Just be away that the point of a fuse is to stop your cable getting hot and burning out or worse still catch fire, so before fitting a larger fuse check your cable size.

Just

Are you using the cigarette lighter to light cigs OR just to charge a mobile / sat nav?
Try fitting another 8A fuse and plug something else into it (charger lead) and see if it blows.Might be that either the lighter part is at fault (shorting out) or just pulling to much current hence why the fuse is blowing.

Cheers for that Froggy, will only be using it sat nav and charger, have tried the sat nav and it didn't blow so must be the lighter was drawing more current! Will keep a box of matches handy incase anyone wants a smoke! Thanks for all the advice!