Clutch cable length?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leec

Reaction score
Ive got a US Import 69 Deluxe Bay Microbus.

When I fitted a gearbox, I put in a later bay (with bell housing lugs) Gearbox in. The bay was supplied with no engine or box.

I ordered the correct LHD clutch cable from vw heritage, but it appears a bit short. I have to pull the clutch release arm to get the wing nut started on the cable, is this normal or do I need a longer clutch cable for the later box, or have I done something else wrong?

Lee

the six rib box is slightly longer but doesnt from memory shift the clutch arm further back...

apart from that :?: you dont actually say what box was fitted, I suspect you have a routing issue....

I will check the box code tommorow, but its not a 6 rib.

Where could the routing problem be though?

Lee

Sometimes the clutch cable needs a pull to lift the clutch pedal off the floor, which extends the cable by about 2", just a thought :roll:

I bought one from GSF yesterday and it turned out to be 3 inches too long, gonna try a 68-69 one now, finegrs crossed.

After trying two different early bay clutch cables I eventually used a spitty cable as thew others were too long. The late bay one was also the only other type that may have fitted. Weird.

I still had to pull the cluth arm to get the wingnut started, but it's a lot smoother now.

Latest posts