Colin McRae

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoyed it, I didn't know his story before, what a sad end to it all :(

With this and the recent Salt Flats documentary it shows the BBC can do good motoring shows without resorting to dumbed down Top Gear rubbish

Only just managed to watch it, fantastic tribute to a man who is undoubtedly one of rallying's greatest, and Sir Hoy didn't do too badly for a peddalist ;)

lhu128l said:
what /when was the Salt Flats documentary on?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pvbdv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:mrgreen:

Watched this last night, a great watch. He really was a true legend. He must have inspired so many of todays rally drivers. He was certainly the reason i started watching the sport and still do.

Good program, nothing said by the family about how they felt about his and their grandsons death. Or the other families involved in the crash that was reported as his fault for flying too fast/low.

The other racing legends shows i watched over xmas were better imo, Moss and Stewart.
I hope there are more to come.

Sent from my GT-I9100

mattyd72 said:
Good program, nothing said by the family about how they felt about his and their grandsons death. Or the other families involved in the crash that was reported as his fault for flying too fast/low.

The other racing legends shows i watched over xmas were better imo, Moss and Stewart.
I hope there are more to come.

Sent from my GT-I9100

I agree with you there. Loved him as a driver but the helicopter crash felt like the elephant in the room. I can only assume the family didn't want to talk about it which then makes me wonder how they felt about the BBC quoting the the transcript from enquiry. It was pretty damming.

I watched it, mainly because I have always been a fan of Colin and wanted to know more about the man behind the legend... Which, by the way, I do not in any way dispute that he is..

however..

After I finished watching the programme I felt disappointed. I don't think this was intentional by the BBC, but they seemed to dwell on his failings a lot, the times he could have won if only he'd gone at 98% instead of 100% and then crashing out, wrecking his car and it all being handed to someone else, or showing Colin not being a team player at Subaru....

This is part of the Colin McRae story I know, but I'd have like to have seen a bit more of Colin at his best, cos at his best, especially in that Subaru Impreza, he was epic!

Colin, and Richard Burns are both huge losses to British motorsport, both are sadly missed by myself, and I am sure thousands of others...

Latest posts