Condensation

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I leave a small oil filled radiator on inside at just above a frost setting, and use the caravan crystals too. compared to the shed its a far more comfy place to hide when I've been naughty. Also - has a Hamilton car cover and is under a car port. seems to work well

Dehumidifiers are ace, I have one running all year round in the shed and the amount of water it pulls out it amazing.

Good in summer as well as it stops your tools rusting if you keep them in a metal cabinet.

Problem with them is below 5 degrees, there pretty much useless as its too cold for them to work.

If keeping outside either them dehumidifier crystal things from the pound shop

7164DpOAzNL._SX355_.jpg

or if you have leccy, these greenhouse tube heaters running 24/7, use about 60 watts but keep the chill out and condensation away

m-O7ZQ_l6eD5FXeamYAp_SA.jpg

I run one in our sunlounge and it does work, when I forget to switch it on, condensation soon builds up on the windows

hope this helps
condensation happens when there is a difference between the outside temperature and the inside temperature, the cold allows the warm moist air to leave its water on the cold surfaces, if storing the bus in a garage your best to leave the widows open and doors ajar, this allows the air in the van to remain the same temperature as the outside temperature meaning less water deposit, you will always get some a the body of the vehicle will take longer to heat than the air around, when there are large variable's in temperature. the only way to truly stop it is to replace the air in the vehicle or garage rapidly . that's why extractor fans work well in bathrooms damp air out replaced by new air. if the air cant be replaced you need to put in something that attracts the moisture in the air rapidly hence a dehumidifier. the chemical ones can only attract so much moisture where the electric ones are dependent on fan size and the size of the reservoir.

air flow is the best solution to damp and condensation

sorry for being such a damp geek

This is off topic, but sort of related.

A mate of mine fitted to his house a fan that gently pumps air from loft into house. This has result of no condensation at all
on inside of windows. Works by having a slight positive pressure inside, so no draughts enter house to bring in cold/damp air.

You are replacing centrally heated warm air with cold loft air, but apparently not enough to notice

He swears by it - but maybe not practical for a bus

[/quote]
I fill old socks with cat litter and hid them out of site in various locations, works a treat.[/quote]

Used or unused cat litter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fill old socks with cat litter and hid them out of site in various locations, works a treat.[/quote]

[/quote]Your kidding me right??......... :lol:

Just in case your not, I prefer unused as the smell of cat piss plays havoc with my sinuses ;)

[/quote]

I think this might be in the wrong post. How to keep rats and mice out of your van is in another section....

CornishSilver said:
I will get shot down now by majority as I'm pretty sure the general consensus is store it for winter. I do live in Cornwall so its the mildest part of the uk through winter and thankfully many un salted roads.

Un-salted roads, in Cornwall. :lol:

They are all salted, all year round. The sea does it for us. I wonder why Conrwall Council bother doing it at all.

speedwell68 said:
CornishSilver said:
I will get shot down now by majority as I'm pretty sure the general consensus is store it for winter. I do live in Cornwall so its the mildest part of the uk through winter and thankfully many un salted roads.

Un-salted roads, in Cornwall. :lol:

They are all salted, all year round. The sea does it for us. I wonder why Conrwall Council bother doing it at all.
haha yeah point taken, I am smack bang in the middle of East Cornwall so 40 mins to either coast line though, not sure if thats a good thing or bad thing really

I agree, mine is in a garage in Tropical Cornwall and since I have lowered all windows its a lot dryer. Mind you the engine and fuel tanks are out so there is a draft blowing all the way through LOL

RichardAlexander said:
hope this helps
condensation happens when there is a difference between the outside temperature and the inside temperature, the cold allows the warm moist air to leave its water on the cold surfaces, if storing the bus in a garage your best to leave the widows open and doors ajar, this allows the air in the van to remain the same temperature as the outside temperature meaning less water deposit, you will always get some a the body of the vehicle will take longer to heat than the air around, when there are large variable's in temperature. the only way to truly stop it is to replace the air in the vehicle or garage rapidly . that's why extractor fans work well in bathrooms damp air out replaced by new air. if the air cant be replaced you need to put in something that attracts the moisture in the air rapidly hence a dehumidifier. the chemical ones can only attract so much moisture where the electric ones are dependent on fan size and the size of the reservoir.

air flow is the best solution to damp and condensation

sorry for being such a damp geek

ozziedog said:
Goldensyrup said:
cheap way is to buy a big bag of table salt and empty into a old ice cream container. put one in front,one in middle , one in back. i do this and its kept in a garage with cover on and windows slightly open and it works a treat

Someone else was telling me they used to do something like this in their static caravan with bowls of crystals and they'd done it for years and it works, if you forget to do it when you close the caravan for the winter, it would be running with damp and mould everywhere when they opened it up for the summer. I don't know what sort of crystals they were.

Ozziedog,,,,,,, worked for years too. :mrgreen:
I store my bus in the garage with the crystal catcher in, no probs with damp for me.

Latest posts