Convert to Later Rear Drums?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Panel
What would it take to replace my early rear drums for the later style that are detachable i.e. the ones you can remove without undoing the castle nut?

You need late style hub carriers, late stub axles, Late drums, drum backing plates and new internals. And, of course, wheels.

Didn't realise it would need the stub axles doing too! Shame.
Will just stick with what I've got then!
Cheers, dude :)

Aye, the stub axles are quite different. The carriers are different too, although you wouldn't know it to look at them. They even have the same part number, but the late carriers need boring out slightly to take an early axle- I suppose you could fit a thin sleeve, but then you're in bodge territory considering there are other spacers on top of those.

If it were an easier swap I'd go for it. The ability to remove drums without undoing the demon castle nut sounds like a joy!

Whilst my brakes are currently fine, I'd really like to strip down and renew as necessary because I don't know when they were last done.

Sounds like your money would be better spent on a mr. torque kit and a 36mm nut welded to a 46mm socket (the mr.torque kits only drive 36mm nuts)

Latest posts