Converted Panel Van Window Seals

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave105

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on how to install converted panel van window seals, the type that has the chrome insert strip. Do you put the strip in before you insert the window or insert window into van then insert the chrome strip afterwards?
Its just that my local VW guy tried all day and only managed to get 1 seal in the van. He said it was the worst job he had ever done and he didn't fancy the other 3!! So any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated as I might have to give them a go now.
Cheers

Fit the seal to the window, the window into the frame and then fit the locking strip into the rubber.
Shouldn't take to long to do.

from me & grazy(hope he dont mind)weld the holes back up PANELS RULE ;) is the seal hard cos some of those cheap seals are cr*p esp from justaboutcamping :?

67panel said:
from me & grazy(hope he dont mind)weld the holes back up PANELS RULE ;) is the seal hard cos some of those cheap seals are cr*p esp from justaboutcamping :?
Have thought about this on more than 1 occasion and each time the wife has decided NO :oops: :lol:

Cheers for the relpy Guys. The seals are from Status so I guess should be OK. Should I use talc of that silicone spray stuff to put them in?
Not sure about the welding up option but I think that would be the preffered option of the guy who tried to put them in for me. He said his main problem was the seal not staying on the window when he put in in the hole. Said he ended up using tape to hold the seal on to the glass. He used superglue to glue the seal together (as you have to cut these type to lenght) guess thats the right stuff? Somone also mentioned using a soldering iron afterwards to 'seal' up the joint. Any body ever done this?
Thankls again.

I think its worthwhile getting a proffesional to do these jobs, they do it everyday and make it look so easy, luckily I have a friend who works for Autoglass but have in the past used local windscreen companies and they have done it in 10 minutes for a couple of pints :)

There is a special tool that is used to install the inserts. It's still a pig of a job though (and commercials are really cool so I'd always suggest welding up the windows!)

converted pannel van glass is fitted in claytonwright,the idea is put the rubber on the body itch the glass in to the rubbers then fit the filler using a filler tool(a few quid on fleebay)

slide the glass in to the seal at the bottom then work up the sides a little at a time then across the top,have some water in a squirty bottle to spray the rubber as lube.

u cant string claytonwright in ,well you can but its by far the hardest way to fit it

pm me if you get stuck

Thanks for the reply Strongy.

I had a look at the seals I got from Status and it looks like the glass groove is way too narrow. Looking at the one that came out I would say that the glass is about 5mm thick. Looking here:

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/bbCMS/shopping.asp?intDepartmentId=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would say WR62 is about the right section anybody confirm if this is correct or used Status seals successfully?

So you say you put the seal around the hole ,feed the glass in starting at the bottom (how do you get the seal over the glass?) then insert the strip afterwards??

Cheers for you advice guys.

status seals are usually very good its what i have fitted to mine,alltho mines not a pannel van.what they supply should be ok.one side will have a nanower slot.

yep defo need to put the seal on the body for claytonright.use a dibber(flat screwdriver with the edges rounded of)can be fiddly if you havent done it before,then use one of these to put the filler in.

they look ok and can sell em on when your done.(you can get cheeper but the ends twist and bend.makes it hard work)
http://uk.ebid.net/perl/auction.cgi?mo=auction&auction=20128893&from=googlebase" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

these dibbers are good for a starter as you wont brake or scrach anythning with it

http://uk.ebid.net/perl/auction.cgi?mo=auction&auction=20128929&from=googlebase" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bought converted panel van seals from Status and they were crap (sorry can't put it any other way). Me and my mate who'd painted the van struggled for ages to get the windows in and gave up. I called in a window company and he threw the status rubbers in the bin :shock: He used is own rubbers which were much softer and they fitted a treat :D

As has been said above - Fit the rubber to the van, then fit the window and last of all the filler strip :D

Status rubbers for "proper" windows are a good fit and NOT to be confused with the other ones ;)

Latest posts