cooling on a 1641

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongy

Reaction score
just thinking of geting a cooler like the one mentioned in fraggles recent thread (dident want to hijack it so started a new en)

now this might seem like an odd question but should you need one ?

mines a 1641 with 34 icts and a 4 in to 1 jk exhaust and i cant do 55 mph for more than 15 mins with out it geting to hot to run

all the tin is in place along with the ruber seal

is this normal ,is any one runing a 1641 without an upgraded cooler and without problems?

the engine is fully rebuilt with no old parts and pulls like a gun en

spot on

ive a 1641, 34icts, tinware correct etc

getting real hot , esp last few days with hot weather

cant go on a long run etc without it getting real hot

im fitting an external cooler with thermastat controlled fan in a few days, will let u know how i get on

you dont now how much beter i feel now,i was starting to worry.what cooler are you going for?

whats the diference beetween the empi and the bugpack.i was wondering if the bugpack would beter with it having a fan on it,it also says its full flow,whats that mean :lol:

also it says you need to keep the origanal cooler so where to you take the feed and return from if you cant take it from the cooler mount?any pics anyone?

my engines full flowed, so it keeps the original oil cooler with doghouse housing. There is a oil take out at the front, heres a pic, it runs to an oil filter, and the external oil cooler will link in with that

oiltempsender.jpg

S5000157.jpg

where have you taken the feed in and out from?did you have to drill and tap for outlet and then mabee use the oil presure hole for return?

sorry for all the questions but i want to buy the right bits first time

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330152701586&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014

on this link theres a bugpack cooler kit for 169.95,does anybody no where this would take the feed and return from,could this be used solo or alongside the standerd cooler?

strongy said:
where have you taken the feed in and out from?did you have to drill and tap for outlet and then mabee use the oil presure hole for return?

sorry for all the questions but i want to buy the right bits first time

case is drilled and tapped, done by the guy who built it for me

give him a call, he can advise you

http://www.morena.co.uk/engines.htm

hi,i run 1641 mine runs very hot even with external oil cooler fitted half way down van . old engine 1600 ran perfectly normal 100degrees.new engineruns 120-150degrees gets frighting

Frightening :?

Try siting on a duke when the fan doesnt even kick in till it reaches 120, gets a might toastie in the baby making department.

Those temps are pretty much expected with the increase in capacity etc....

The external cooler should be keeping it well down even one without a fan, where have you mounted the plates? is it fan cooled? and is the thermostat operating? I've gone for the deep sump aswell ( a bit belt and braces ) plus it helps on the cornering, as the extra sump will always be full, theres no oil starvation probs.

Strongy it appears you intend installing a Ghia in your engine bay?? (if that link was anything to go by)

Theres a number of kits out there some requiring tapped cases others remove the existing cooler..... the prices are all over the place aswell same kit different supplier equals lots of £££s difference.

:lol: :lol: :lol: hehehehe so you dont think puting a ghia in is the answer ?

it should have been this...http://www.vwheritage.com/ssp/Engine-Parts/Oil-Coolers/?srchPart=AC1179270

the bugpack oil cooler kit

bloody hell lemonyellow is 150 dc not dead engine temp,mine got to 140 and i shit me self and pulled over.if this shed is still to hot with a fan i think i might have to get the engine on shebay and have a rethink :cry:

Yep its used with the original oil cooler in situe, no drilling should be needed (other than mounting the plates and fan) just trying to rack my alcohol raddled brain for the oil ports position, it will come to me latter.

im the same ive just rolled in from snooker and its all to much, so its bed time nite nite,think il order 1 in the morn

I've been running a 1641 in my fastback for the last 11 years without any extra cooling, without any ecessive heat problems, and type 3's tend to run a bit hotter anyway, no seal separating the hot zone from the cold. And mine has 36 Dells, uprated cam, 009 and electronic ignition. Just changing from a 1600 to 1641 is not going to make it run that much hotter. If you are running bigger carbs, different cam and other bits, you really need to get the tuning checked. Running an engine slightly lean or with too much advance can make a hell of a difference to the temperature.

I have just installed pretty much the same spec engine in my bus and don't expect to see any heat problems either.

Latest posts