Cooling your engine.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was either 20/50 or straight 30 in there when the light came on, it went off as soon as the revs went up.

The under tins were missing too, I have fitted them since.

I have changed to 10/40 semi when I did the sump.

I will see if I have time to fit a switch tomo, I won't have time to fit a gauge until after Plymfest.

Just got back from Plymfest. If I run the van at speeds of over 60mph for any length of time, the oil light will flicker or stay on at idle. The van still makes good power, but does seem a bit hot. I stuck a pressure gauge on when I got back & it is only reading 2-3 psi at idle.

Gonna change the oil to 20/50 & see what that does. I am wondering if something isn't right with the engine. It's done about 1200 miles since rebuild now.

Hi Pete,

I'm using an Riechert TAD thermostat, and he supplies them with an extra spring (for the oil pressure valve at the flywheel) with a smaller diameter as the originals and it fits right in this spring to boost the oil pressure.

TAD thermostat
oelkuehl_36.jpg
oelkuehl_13.jpg

I'm running a 33mm melling pump and i'm using Millers 20/50 classic oil, pressure at idle is 1.5 bar at 80 degrees celcius oil temperature.
My oil cooler is the same as yours with a fan and a feeler for switching the fan.

Ive refitted my oil cooler higher up in the chassis rails, its also got a thermostatic switch which comes on at 180 degrees

ive also changed from 15 40 to 20 50 classic oil, as i was due an oil change

once my gearbox goes back in i will able to report back on how it runs :roll:

P1020613.jpg

thats looks like a sweet fit dude

im hoping to have a cooler fitted as im now going to have to upgrade as my engine gave up on friday on the way to plymfest as pete knows

so keep us updated on this so we all can learn`the best ways to do it right

I will do the 20/50 oil change then run it at speed for a while then do a pressure test...

I fitted a new belt on my bus last week and the gauge jumped by 20 degrees F,
I'm looking for a shorter one now to try and speed the fan up again.

http://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/showthread.php?t=563037" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts