Creaking & groaning steering

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGPlant

Reaction score
When moving slowly the steering creaks badly, what has worn out? There's also a knocking when going over a bad surface in the road.

Knocking on bumps good be the swivel-pin that goes through the beam? I have just replaced my drag link which has made an amazing difference, 6inches of play to no inches of play and smoother steering.

Simon.

the_troupster said:
Get someone to rock steering wheel side to side whilst you have a poke around underneath to feel where the play is.

Jim

Good advice - and the only way you will find the problem.

Bluesnailman said:
I also replaced the bush at the top of the column, that where my creaks were coming from.

How do you go about replaing this bush?

S.

I'm not sure..... I had the whole column out and in bits then put it back together again as I replaced the bottom collar also. You might just be able to do the top bush through taking the streering wheel off and then keeping going spdown the layers. The Bentley manual will tell you the steps, definitely recommend one.

In taking it apart, I also found that the rubber connection to the steering box was cracked, and that the bolt on the column to steering box wasn't tight enough (and so there was some play on the splines). I have to say, if it's old and you've never had it in bits, then take it to bits, replace and refurbish then put it back together again. Fill your box steering box with the oil of your choice and generally give it all a bit of love. For the cost of the bits of plastic and rubber and a small bearing you might as well do a proper job.

Latest posts