crows feet.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Analog

Reaction score
These are crows feet.
newpics001.jpg

these are just 15" wide 5's.
2005_0101summerfun0003.jpg

just sayin'
:msn4:

I have seen a couple of mentions of the style wheel Clyde, just thought i'd clear it up, as it seems to be spreading ;) :D

the grey one is not my wheel Andrew, i have one crows foot in white, and 3 regular type. :x :D

wide 5 bug 15" wheels are smoothies, generally anyway, the '67 have the multi slots.

smoothies
3957272.jpg

'67s
IMG_1071.jpg

and i think there was another multi slot, on Ghias/Porsche maybe?

plus the ET on the split wheels tuck them in more ;)

The type 3 wheels have no clips for hubcaps but they do have a slightly different profile to hold the outside edge of the hubcap, you can see it in the pic

They do look like type 3 wheels, but they dont normally have the crows feet bit and are totally smooth as in this pick of my 64 notch wheel ;)

NewTyres1.jpg

Okay, I'm just going to say it...

I see no difference in the wheels in the first post of this thread other than colour :msn4:

around the bolt holes of the first picture you`ll see three raised prongs at different angles which look like the shape of a crows foot and none of these in the 2nd picture......... :mrgreen:

Look around the bolt holes on the first wheel (grey) and you will notice 3 upraised castings. They look a little like a birds foot, hence Crows feet.
You cant see them with hub caps on so i am a little confussed as to why people will pay a premium for them, unless your running without caps and want to spend a fortune on steel OG wheels. Off set is no better than the 4 slot wheels.

As per Analog's first two pics...

There is invariably no difference between a 'crows feet' steel wheel and a '15 inch bus wheel'. The wheel widths, profile and offsets have been measured and compared against each other (by folks on theSamba.com), and the differences have been noted as minimal (eigth's of an inch maybe on the offset).

The only real (physical/visible) difference between a 'crows feet' steel wheel and a '15 inch bus wheel' (apart from the actual manufacturer of the wheel) are the three ribbed 'pressings' that surround the wheel bolt hole.

[Edit] Clyde - I didn't see your post! [/Edit]

Type3 wheels where available in all three guises, so you can get a solid one, one with slots, and one with 4 vents(?) They have a pressed in shade for retaining hubcaps, abit like late bug wheels but pointing inward instead of outward.

Just my twopenneth ;)

Latest posts