Crunch :(

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyO

Reaction score
vyhe9eva.jpg

Went to the tip today some old guy in a Mercedes opened his car door without looking, and this was the result!

Good news is that he admitted liability but I was wondering whether the repairers will be taking out the front screen as this might be an opportunity to get a heated one, What are peoples thoughts on this??? I was also thinking that whilst screens out I might change headliner, Are these easy come by??

Cheers Andy

Never nice having some one ding your van :(
There really are some careless people out there :roll:
Hope you get it fixed quickly.

Yes screen out to paint that. The panel will need painting from the bottom of the gutters. Very slapdash to mask off around rubbers like that. Bumper will need to come off too.

looks quite nasty,merc must be like a tank to twat it like that,was he stevie wonder not to see your van and did he kick the door open???

i went to the tip today in the van but they were queueing up to go in so i parked around the corner outside and walked the 200yds,only had a bag of grass cuttings and they start to stink if i leave them over night suprised you ever slapped him one,feel for ya chief!! :(

ProfessorWheeto said:
Yes screen out to paint that. The panel will need painting from the bottom of the gutters. Very slapdash to mask off around rubbers like that. Bumper will need to come off too.

Wouldn't they just fine line it under the bulge, fade out (maybe) and polish it out as its a flat colour not metallic

Band news getting it hit like that at the tip, how did he not see you

Thanks for the replys, just put my head in my hands when it happened.

Basically as I went to go past him he just opened his door without looking and I hit the edge. No damage to his that I could see...

I would have thought that they would need to take glass out to do a proper job, but others are more qulified to judfe. Ill see when I take it in

its not hard to do either way but the correct way would be to have the screen out and front end striped,especialy as your not paying for it.

Nugsy said:
ProfessorWheeto said:

Wouldn't they just fine line it under the bulge, fade out (maybe) and polish it out as its a flat colour not metallic

Band news getting it hit like that at the tip, how did he not see you

Big risk of burning through when you are buffing. And you might not be able to get rid of the line. And there might be a slight visible shade difference. And it's only a little bit more effort to get the screen out and do it properly.

Trikky2 said:
Nugsy said:

Its not hard to do on flat paint as you say. :)

No such thing as "flat paint".

Are you getting confused between a straight gloss and a metallic? Straight colours are available in both direct gloss and basecoat and lacquer if that's what you were referring to?

Window is coming out, so new seal. Wanted £200 for the glass however so decided not to go with that will fit a heated one at some point (there around the £260 mark as far as I can determine)

Is your windscreen the original one? I had a new seal with the old screen and it was baggy and let some water in. Got a new screen and the seal was tight, not sure if there might be a slight size difference....

67westy said:
Is your windscreen the original one? I had a new seal with the old screen and it was baggy and let some water in. Got a new screen and the seal was tight, not sure if there might be a slight size difference....

Funny that, I just put a new seal on my old screen and it is baggy on one quarter. Tried to get it to fit but no way. It was a pukka seal from c&c or status.

So a new screen ? That seems a bit drastic.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

jonboylaw said:
67westy said:

Funny that, I just put a new seal on my old screen and it is baggy on one quarter. Tried to get it to fit but no way. It was a pukka seal from c&c or status.

So a new screen ? That seems a bit drastic.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Good to know it wasn't just me, it was a C&C seal too. The old screen was a bit scratched hence the replacement, the loss of baggyness was a welcome side effect.

hmm, will see, I guess as this is on the insurance I should have some comeback if it leaks. I think it is the OG screen....

ProfessorWheeto said:
No such thing as "flat paint".

Are you getting confused between a straight gloss and a metallic? Straight colours are available in both direct gloss and basecoat and lacquer if that's what you were referring to?

You call it potato....

Was a sprayer at Land Rover for 6 years (spot repair section) Solid, Flat, straight gloss etc all the same, as you say opposed to Basecoat and lacquer. werent many non metallic basecoats back then. Was there when it all went waterbourne and still used 2k lacquer, been out of that for about 10 years now...but give it a name :)

glad to know your getting ot sorted, as you say its on teh insurance so presume the work would be guaranteed

Latest posts