1970 Westy, Campmobile 70.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter_Richards

Reaction score
As promised I'll share a few pictures of my bus. This was my first post from when the bus arrived.
After lurking around here for ages I finally took the plunge and got a van!
Wasn't a great start, had it delivered yesterday was supposed to be here at about 6pm turned up at 10pm. Started it up and it ran for about two minutes and cut out, wouldn't restart :? Turns out it didn't have any fuel in it, easy fix but had to drive around for 20 mins to find a petrol station open, even the 24 hour Tesco was closed :|
Finally got it restarted then took it for a blast around the block, when I got back noticed a hub cap had gone awol :!: Luckily after first driving back to find it, then walking with a torch I found it :D
Was going to spend the day tinkering today but it's tipping down outside, will see what I can do. Already having slight buyers remorse as the list of things I can see that need sorting mount up.
One of the first jobs will be to try to sort the fuel gauge which currently swings back and forth erratically, bad earth?
Think it might need a new battery too although I'll charge this one first.
Picture of it being collected, it was dark when it got here.
414209365.jpg

So day 2, things can only get better, right? Well no. Thought I'd take it to the petrol station to get some more fuel. Got there and fuelled up OK but went to start and nothing :oops: Pushed it out of the way and as the PO had mentioned a previous problem with the battery terminals I gave them a wiggle and it fired up :roll: Drove to the school where I do some voluntary work and parked it up, probably should have gone straight home as two hours later when I tried to start it no amount of wiggling would get it to fire up. In fact the nut came off the 'Neveready' battery and sans tools I'm now worse off than I started :oops:
414210625.jpg

414210626.jpg

Managed to get my dad out with some grips and jump leads and got it started though so it's back on the drive, raining yesterday I notice a nice rainbow coloured river running towards the house and a slightly stronger smell of petrol than is probably normal. I guess I have a petrol leak to find now despite having a new fuel tank, fuel lines and carb :?
Anyway, while it was broken down I took some pictures, :D Not exactly glamour shots.
414210630.jpg

414210629.jpg

414210631.jpg

414210628.jpg

414210619.jpg

414210622.jpg

414210623.jpg

End of day 2, still feeling this isn't for me :shock:

don't lose the faith. all kombis need some love to make sure they keep going and by the looks of it it just needs
a bit of work and a check over of all the little things. It looks like it has awesome bones for a killer van!!
it looks super nice and dry and its a westy which is the coolest.

just keep plugging away, maybe if you put the work out for someone around your area who's on here who can come have a look
and see what you should be doing first.

blink said:
don't lose the faith. all kombis need some love to make sure they keep going and by the looks of it it just needs
a bit of work and a check over of all the little things. It looks like it has awesome bones for a killer van!!
it looks super nice and dry and its a westy which is the coolest.

just keep plugging away, maybe if you put the work out for someone around your area who's on here who can come have a look
and see what you should be doing first.
Cheers Blink. Yes would be excellent for someone local to take a look and give me some pointers.

Not much happened today, bought a new battery. Just hope the leads are long enough to reach the terminals as they're on top on the other side :roll:
Some parts I've ordered have started showing up, managed to get these on in-between monsoons :D
414210936.jpg

414210935.jpg

Also got some bedtime reading,
414210934.jpg

Rang up to cancel the insurance on my old car and the guy asked what I'd bought. When I told him a VW Camper he said they are literally the coolest form of transport :cool0019:

Crikey, I’ve seen some battery terminal bodges in the past, but that has got to be a one of the best! Screw-on battery posts and battery clamps for the leads... I’m surprised it ever started at all - and that must be generating some serious heat at the terminal with that lack of contact. New battery will do it a world of good I’m sure, I certainly wouldn’t attempt starting it again on the current one if you can smell fuel.

Best of luck with it. It looks like you’ve got a good base to start with. Our first van had a wheel bearing explode on our 2nd outing... I can tell you the ‘van fear’ we had for months after that experience did eventually wear off, and there’s nothing like the feeling of cruising about in the hot weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovely old van that, can’t wait to see the progress on it 8)

Piece of free advice and experience.... Source an original oil bath air cleaner and get rid of that chrome pan cake thing. Will run sooooo much better and you’ll be glad you did.

Not much happened today, managed to replace the battery in between rain storms. Battery leads only just reached! Can't move the battery back to secure it at the moment so will probably have to extend the leads eventually.

Seems to be starting much better but we'll see! And the fuel gauge seems to have settled down (better earth from the battery?) might be just my imagination though :)
414212023.jpg

Baby steps mate, I was new to all this a couple of years ago and I wouldn’t change it for the world now.

They are great vans to work on, just start making a list of all the faults you can see and feel confident rectifying yourself, otherwise you’ll get overwhelmed.

If you can get the van checked over then great, but I worked on the principle that the van being 49 years old and me not knowing the history, I wanted to replace as much as I could over time once I got to know the van. This has approach has transformed how the van drives especially with the work done last year.

This site has helped me no-end, tons of knowledge and help on hand, plus there’s loads of tutorials on YouTube etc ... people love these vans and they need to be saved.

I went from this in March 2015 (Lotus White 1970 Danbury)

a3a21586e87a7fdb0510aaeb0d29157e.jpg

To this (Savannah Beige / Cloud White) in August 2016

fe1ed463b34ab3b48e1622a1ab1388f4.jpg

Stick with it, once you start putting your own stamp on it you’ll be grinning from ear to ear [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put the curtain up temporarily with magnets, still waiting for the track to arrive before I fit the set and not sure it's even the right curtain at the moment.
414212928.jpg

Also fitted these 'jail bars', pointless 'bling' but I've always liked them.
414212929.jpg

My mum was throwing out these place mats so used them to cover the massive speaker holes,
414212931.jpg

414212930.jpg

Curtain rail turned up, no instructions included and as I ordered the 'Westfalia' style curtain glides I was thinking HTF does the curtain attach to the glide? :cry:
Why these things can't come with some basic instructions is beyond me :?: Anyway, a few minuets on Google and all was revealed :!:
Managed to get one of the side ones up, quite fiddly and doesn't look that robust but works for now.
414213958.jpg

Funky Navaho style throw/picnic blanket also showed up, quite pleased with it.
414213959.jpg

Looks like you have à very nice original van there. By all means modify the wiring, but be cool with the rest of it.

Mine broke down on first day on the way home, and now after a bit of love, I've no concerns about driving a couple of thousand miles for me holidays

Not much done today, replaced a broken window winder. Amazing how easy it is to find parts even if they're reproduced, less than £5. delivered.
414214469.jpg

414214468.jpg

Nice van and like most said, looks to be a good base.
Did you get to the bottom of the fuel smell / possible leak?

gninnam said:
Nice van and like most said, looks to be a good base.
Did you get to the bottom of the fuel smell / possible leak?

Maybe I pumped the pedal too much starting it and it was running rich but I'll investigate further just in case. I can't see anything obvious.

Latest posts