Cutting out

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CornishSilver

Reaction score
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. To make it easier Ive recently had my 3k service and rolling road tune, full re wire, infact everything is brand new except for my starter motor, alternator and gearbox I have twin dells that are new/refurbished also. Basically under heavy braking and coming to a standstill the engine cuts out. It fires straight back up again. Once after filling up it did cut out on idle, with a flicker of the generator and battery light just before cut out. Thanks

Just been having a poke about, I have found the r/h side air ducting disconnected from the heat exchanger, could this be the cause?

Ok, running my own thread here lol. I have reconnected the Flexi ducting back up and gone for a spin and all seems to be good although I wasn't as hot as earlier. If anyone can chip in with a mechanical explanation that this would be the cause that would be cool. I can put it on the something learnt page then :)

After a long run when the engine is upto temp does your oil light flicker ever so slightly at idle?
Whats you idle rpm set to?
Sounds like it might be set ever so slightly low at idle causing it to cut out momentarily

Thanks bud, I will go out for a good run in it and check that. I haven't noticed a flicker other than on 1 occasion when it did cut out on idle.

Might just need your idle speed upping slightly
If that doesnt work there a couple of other things to check
It sounds fuel related and nothing serious - have you checked for air leaks around the carbs/manifolds by spraying WD40 and seeing if the engine note changes? Lets you know if you have an air leak
Also check your float valves on your carbs to make sure they are "floating" and not letting fuel slosh over into the manifold causing the stall
Im sure you will get it sorted!

Likely causes:
Idle speed set too low either through bypass or mixture screw
carburettor float incorrectly set
Air leak
Timing too retarded
Idle jet blocked on carb
carb cutoff blocked or not functional

Latest posts