CV joint advice

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davechorlton

Reaction score
Evening All,

just replacing my 40 year old shaky cv joints....

The new joints have gaskets supplied with them - Do I need them? - assuming they would go against flange, but nothing fitted originally?

Also Haynes says leave out the conical washer positioning the cv joint. I guess if it's bolted fast it can't go anywhere but why would vw put them there and the new boots have a spare if not useful?

Confused.....

Dave :?:

Mine were the same, no washer or gaskets went back in, also check the new bolt length if you ordered as a kit and see if you spreader plates sit flat on the boot, mine didnt, they were from heritage

i used og spreader plates but replaced bolts for new ones exactly as it came off in the first place.....no gaskets were used.....just the most muckiest job ever :mrgreen:

Cheers guys, got the og spreader plates. I'll leave out the gaskets - don't suppose grease is going anywhere. Got some new shnorr or whatever they are called washers and new bolts...haven't checked to see if spreaders sit on their yet...hope so.

Did you leave out the washer on the driveshaft side?

Dave

whatever came out of the og set up went back on again apart from the bolts from memory there were og washers that came off so went back on again but i`ve slept since then so assumptions are a fatal thing with jd in my bloodstream :lol:

Cheers. Figure I'll plump for the same theory......what's the worst that can happen.....

I wasn't so careful when I did my brakes last year :lol:

Latest posts