CV joint- is this bad?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike202

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whilst checking under the van found a CV boot split, on the left side near the wheel. This is the opposite to the right side that split 18 months ago!
I got them as complete driveshafts with both CV joints and boots fitted. It says on A.Schofields site that they change the boots for better ones. The gearbox side boots look absolutely fine.

Any way, now I have cleaned this CV joint up I found some pitting or damage on the inner part of the joint. There are three separate areas. I don't know how long the boot has been split so maybe some dirt got in there. How bad is it? Do I need a new joint.

IMG_0841.JPEGIMG_0844.JPEGIMG_0845.JPEGIMG_0846.JPEGIMG_0847.JPEG

Last edited:
All this stuff supplied by all these big name is sub standard. I bought new window chrome and the quarter light hinge rusted in days. The new alloy slot mags have now got corrosion tracking before they were even on the road!! Where is most of this stuff manufactured? Let me guess?

It is a bit of a concern about the quality of some stuff. Rubber parts tend to go after a year or two, unless you're lucky. The rubber hanger for the CSP muffler is looking quite bad and has a lot of deep splits after three years!
I've bought a pair of CV joints from Coolair. They are GKN Lobro and were on sale. Says made in Germany on the box. I'm hoping the rubber boots will last a few years!

I don't have much to add to this discussion about bad parts, but I do get as many critical parts as I can from my local VW garage (Kombi Haus in Sacramento, California). I don't mind paying the higher prices, because they sell me the same stuff they fit to their customers' buses and cars, and they won't sell what they can't stand behind. Perhaps a relationship with a UK garage would be of some benefit to customers who can patronize them.

Latest posts