De- mister/ heater system , worth fitting

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bus driver 84

Reaction score
My 71 westy whilst I've had her has had no heating matrix in it ( no pipes, levers etc) is it worth having as I've never been in any other bus / beetle with one in that is working , I've heard mixed opinions but these aren't real people anyway cus they don't drive bays!
Thanks steve

I'd say yes it is worth having, mine has the totally original heating system and it works well once the engine has warmed up. However it probably depends on how little/much of the system you actually have already, if you need heat exchangers and all the pipe work & controls then it might work out better to buy an eberspacher or propex heater that you can run whenever you need it.
Also I don't think that reproduction heat exchangers work as well as the originals, I gather they don't have the same quality/quantity of fins on the jackets.

I would agree with Loxy, it is worth having. lots of people complain about the heating systems in VWs but a properly maintained VW heating system is very efficient at heating your van and de-misting your windows. Mine works a treat now that i have connected all the heater cables an ensured that the pipe work is solid.

I also have a propex for when we are 'wild' camping i.e. not on a hook up and an electric plinth heater for when we are, that way we can always be toasty and warm whether on the move or static.

I guess part of your answer will come from asking yourself when you actually use the van. If you don't venture out in it in the winter, or when it is lashing it down with rain, you probably wouldn't ever have the need to warm up the front window.

If you don't use it in the winter, but do in the rain, you could argue that this is when it is most needed - if you stick a few people in who have got wet clothes, or your van isn't really well sealed, the windows will very quickly steam up if it isn't hot and sunny outside. When we don't have the luxury of nice, dry, air-conditioned air in these vans, we have to rely on heat / airflow blowing on the screen to keep it clear.

I have the original heating system in place and it does keep the bus nice and toasty I also have a propex fitted for camping which are well worth the money

I only use mine in the summer months esentially, but still need the heating for night drives and demisting in the rain etc. Mines not perfect but works ok ... I wouldnt be without it though.

Latest posts