de-valueing your bus (diy paint job)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baj

Reaction score
hi there, this is something i've been thinking about for a while now, do you think by painting your van with say rustoleum or any other hand paint with a brush/roller that your van would not be worth as much as it could be.
do you think people would be put off more if it's been hand painted.

just thinking out loud at moment as my bus is having body panels replaced as & when i can afford it & the new metel has red oxide to protect it for the moment, but cant really afford to get the whole van resprayed.

sorry to ramble on ;) bruce

The value is all in your head anyway :? If you are fixing it up for yourself and may or may not get a " proper " spray job one day then it`s pretty much irrelevant. If however you are fixing it up in order to sell it, then yes, a most definite yes. I think a lot of people will be put off by a less than perfect paint job but only if they are paying top dollar, and mainly because a lot of the threads on here will testify as to how many times we remove paintwork to find all sorts of unmentionables underneath. Not saying that yours will have unmentionables underneath, but I think that is how people will view it. If it`s to sell it, then it may even be better if you have a photographic log of the rebuild to show how it is and perhaps just primer it so the buyer can have it sprayed to the colour of their choice or maybe try to sell it with the spray job factored into the price, so they can actually see exactly what they are getting for their dosh. 8)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, Goes on a bit , don`t I ?,, :lol: ;) :lol:

I think just being rust free and solid would give it the majority value...

I'm going to paint my own van, i doubt if I spent the 3.5k on a proper job i'd ever see that money again.

Agree with both the above comments.

I plan to paint my own once all the panels are on and using products like Rustoleum, if you take your time you can get very good results (not that I probably will....).

I painted my old T25 with a roller and everybody thought it was sprayed. I'm currently nipping in the bud the rust on my bay and am using rustcure and spray cans cos its cheap!

15-02-2010195647.jpg

Do it yourself and spend the savings on more weekends away, If you take a photo history as you go you can prove whats underneath if you feel the need
Built not bought

Here is a big thread over on the samba if you feel like reading for awhile:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320572" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The general consensus is that you can make a roll on job look very good, it takes a lot of work, wet sanding between each coat. More work yourself = less money, paying a professional to paint = lots of money.

Have a look here http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4916&hilit=1971&start=80 this is my old van that me and a mate sprayed in his garage.
5l of celly, 10l of thinners (also used for cleaning the guns out and have some left), 5l of panel prep and about 3 weeks work.
Cost about £200 in total with the other peices (wet and dry, tack cloths, and tea bags!)
It is possible to have a decent paint job without re-mortgaging

froggy said:
.....sprayed in his garage.

That's a problem a lot of us have - my garage is too small for me to spray in and don't fancy spraying outside as the wind will carry most of the spray with it :(

I know some people rig up little booths outside to do this, but knowing my luck, it would persissant it down and a tornando would appear :mrgreen:

Unless, you know somone near me who has a garage they could let me use for a week to spray the can in???

Hi!

If i was doing a DIY, I would certainly consider the Rustoleum thread on the Samba as mentioned above, in fact, I;m gonna do the undersides, belly pan etc with colour matched rustoleum., and the insides of the bumpers etc. Rollering it on sounds like a good option, and good results can be had apparently, and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Cheers!

Alistair

I think rustoleum will cause problems in the future should you ever want a proper repaint. Also you have to remember a "ten foot paint job" will look nice on a photo but shocking in real life.

As for prospective buyers, most will run a mile because it looks like a hand painted job has been bodged up. Mainly because 99.9% have. On the flipside people will also think a bus is solid because its got shiny new paint, however it might have had a bodge up and rust will start coming through in 6 months.

Home spraying is a dodgy subject, I'd disagree with it mainly due to the safety aspect. People not really knowing what they are doing with products they don't really understand can not only make a mess of their van, but can make a real mess of their lungs and prospects of a long life.

As with the thread on the samba, look at the rust coming through that green panel on page 20. 2 years on and it looks awful again, the sign of a bodge up. Also a fairly dark colour like that one should have a good clear reflection in it, for example in the first photo of it in fresh paint you should easily be able to see the reflection of the person taking the photo, however you can't because the finish simply isn't there.

So to sum up, do it once, do it right.

I am respraying our van on the drive have done alot of it now and results look good. it is all down to the prep work and spending time on it. had comments that it looks good i am happy well want the body work straighter long term. we are planning on keeping the van so the value is not a question to us i cannot efford 2k or what ever a sprey shop wants to charge and based on other cars that have had sprey repairs done and after handing over cash for these jobs they as not a great finish.

Sparyed it in cellulose out the back of my house, really pleased with finish, first time ive sparyed, took a bit of practice though mainly due to prep, havnt even polished it yet
camper110311005.jpg

Nice job Dean 8)

Did you put sheeting up at all or just do it with nothing around (if you know what I mean :shock: )?

gninnam said:
Nice job Dean 8)

Did you put sheeting up at all or just do it with nothing around (if you know what I mean :shock: )?

Just did it mate nothing around, got a polishing machine coming this week so should get it really shiny :D

thanks all for your replys, some mixed views there.
i was thinking of painting my van with restoleum, just to keep it looking tidy & all in one colour, but mate of mine whos a sprayer is not a fan of hand painting & says do it propley.
not planing on selling it, just strugling to keep it on the road at moment & seem to be chucking loads of money at it.

thanks again, bruce

It's not the method of application (cause early Rolls were hand painted and looked perfect but proper coach painting is a skill thats all but died out)

It's more the fact that Rustoleum will be a bitch to get off should you ever want a proper repaint, products like Hammerite etc can also cause problems with reactions if you try over painting.

Latest posts