Deep sump, any to avoid?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AxlFoley

Reaction score
I'm about to invest in a deep sump, I was just wondering if there were any to avoid? or any recommendations for good ones?

ta

Mark

AxlFoley said:
I'm about to invest in a deep sump, I was just wondering if there were any to avoid?
ta

Mark

All of them. :lol:

If your going racing and your vehicle has been modified sufficiently to create enough G force to suffer from oil surge during hard cornering then a deep sump will fix this problem.

Otherwise the money is better spent elsewhere.

I use a Scat 1.5L deep sump in the bug to prevent crankshaft windage (oil being picked up by the crankshaft at high RPM and being thrown around the case, mainly up into cylinders 3 & 4) by moving the reservoir of oil in the sump lower. It helps a lot with a stroker crank but I wouldn't bother on a stock motor. I've had no problems with my Scat sump but I don't know how it compares to others on the market :)

I've got an Empi 1.5 litre sump to go on my 2110. Comes with the fitting kit and longer studs. Was £70 i think from cool air? Plus it has a boss that can be drilled for a temp sensor, handy :-D

I went with the GB one, pretty happy although don't think it does a lot on my van.
Made me feel better though :roll:

Its going on a lowered bus with a 2.1 stroker so its needed. I think i'll go for a wide shallow one.

thanks for the help

Mark

i have one i hate it. its freaking huge my bus is loads higher and it still is super close to the floor and it now takes 6 fucking litres of oil in an oil change because of the sump cooler lines etc :lol:
i think it may well go next time i do an oil change

sjc said:
i have one i hate it. its freaking huge my bus is loads higher and it still is super close to the floor and it now takes 6 fucking litres of oil in an oil change because of the sump cooler lines etc :lol:
i think it may well go next time i do an oil change
yes mate i know what you mean i have a 1.5 quart sump on my type 4 and it looks way to low, scares the crap out of me
when i have to navigate across a field. :(

Have cooler and deep sump. 5 litres of oil on the nose. I have a nice cool dipstick these days ;) ;)

why a deep sump - surely you could employ a remote oil reservoir somewhere else - don't 911's have a separate oil tank?

Trikky has responded on another thread recently and a bus engine shouldn't really be spinning at massive revs so the internal oiling remains largely the same - as in the surface area of the bearing surfaces is the same. So as long as you don't over pump and starve the sump, then gravity will do it's thing and keep things oiled. If you put in a cooler and filter then these will by their nature increase the oil content slightly anyway.
Sure I also read that the deep sump puts strain on the case?

I'd spend the money elsewhere too but others will say different so we probably won't help... :lol:

Axel .
My 1776 was built by Ian Clarke @ Wolfsburg performance . If he fitted it then it's needed. It's a gene berg sump and I Also have the gene berg oil pump and remote filter too. All this has reduced the temp by about 20-30 deg due to the extra oil capacity.
So I would say yes it needed

Slammed said:

:) :) Bob Hoover had a lifetimes experience and no "axe to grind".

For those unable to work things out for themselves, the knowledge and experience of people such as Bob Hoover, Richard Atwell, Rob and Dave (to name but a few) all freely available on the net, are a very valuable resource.

Its one of the big benefits of the internet - knowledge and experience that would have been much more difficult to get in the past. :)

Many questions that come up regularly in tech can be answered by referring to these very good sites.

Hence my post, I've been aware of him for a long time. :mrgreen:

oh bloody hell! so many opinions! there is only one thing for it, speak to the man who is doing my engine work.

I will be running a fram filter and an external oil cooler, so the oil capacity will be increased.

Now, just to confuse you further, I got one of these, just in case I get oil surge. Which I most probably don't!

3795629.jpg

:lol:

Latest posts