Delta Green 70 deluxe "The Lunch Box"

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I would post an update on the "Lunch Box". I have started a new career so that has been a priority over spending endless hours in the garage.

Well, things change!!! I did have plans to leave it stock height because I didn't want to cut up the frame. To heck with that idea, the lunch box is getting dropped. King pin beam and front and rear notching. I might as well roll it the way I like instead of saving it for somebody else.

I tried a set of my spare sprint stars on it to get an idea but even the 4.5's are to positive of an offset and I think they will rub when slammed.
P7270036.jpg

Thats a bit of original paint in my back yard (65 og paint notch and the bus)

I have a set of Al Reed restored early 5.5's and deep 6's coming for the bus and have been able to collect nice original lenses and various other parts so I don't have to run any repro crap. A factory crank sunroof is also in order. I hope to ad a few more updates on the van every so often so stay tuned for some progress.

Red neck photo shop! OG deep 6's on the rear and OG early 5.5's on the front. Fresh Al Reed polish/detail job.
P9110071.jpg

More original bits picked up at Sacramento Bugorama on Sept 5th weekend. 30 hours of driving in 3.5 days. Bottom of windsheild to be repaired tomorrow. Will keep you posted

Well, still collecting cool bits and accessories for the van. I have now picked up a 67 LP beam that will be narrowed with Wagenswest sideplates and adjusters and Wagenswest conversion drop spindles with 944 disks up front. Also picked up a nice set of 72 rear brakes to be re-drilled for 5x130. I had a friend fix the bottom of the windsheild with a super clean original repair panel that I picked up off of the samba. It will be airbrushed in to match the original patina.
P9130074.jpg

He also welded in the repair piece for the cargo floor. The floor is a bit wavey but it was so clean I didn't have the heart to take the whole floor out. I searched a long time for an ultra clean piece that the bottom side had the same og overspray as my van. I am going to grind the weld and airbrush in just the weld part so it looks all og. The original only had a few little holes just under the outer seat reinforcement piece, but we welded it back in a bit because we got the best alignment of the floor here. Seams very typical for them to rust there , I guess the water would come inside the door seal and sit under the rubber mat under that reinforcement and rust.
P9130079.jpg

The next big project is going to be a new roof. The roof is super clean on this van but I what is a summer cruiser without a sunroof. I just picked up the roof section locally a few weekends ago, I bought a mint sunroof from New Mexico, the headliner piece inside came from California and all of the mechanical parts will be coming from the OG Clipper that I bought for a parts van. I will be saving as much of the original roof as I can as it has beautiful patina.
PA160103.jpg

Spending more time researching and organizing buying parts lately. This van is going to have all of the hard to find goodies :msn4: Can anybody help me out with my engine raise? I know some guys have put alloy spacers in to raise the engine by and inch or so. I would love to see pics of this. Any info would help. Also need to know which adjustable spring plates to buy, Slamwerks or CE?

You don't stand still do you :shock:

It sounds like it will be the mutts once you have done what you have planned - looking forward to more updates ;)

This is a great thread, going to be one sweet bus when finished. Keep up the good work

As anybody that has owned an early 1970 van know the fusebox in the early 70's was made from a inferior material that cracks and crumbles. If you can catch it early enough you can put a late 70 fusebox in which is the same part # but made from better plastic. Well the Lunch Box was not caught in time and has mass wiring meltdown. My solution was to order a custom made fusebox from Kwik Wire. They custom made me this harness which is a hot rod style harness with all of the relays, flashers built in. Each wire is labeled and will be wired in super sano when it comes time. Not cheap but I think well worth not having the sweats when you are 1000 miles from home and you start to smell burnt wiring from a hoaky fix. Here it is :
PB030009_2.jpg

PB030010_2.jpg

This past summer I scored a mint set of vintage Cibie headlights. The glass was mint but inside the reflector was shot. So I did an old hot rod trick and VERY carefully removed the glass from the back reflector and installed them onto a new sealed beam back. I like the look of flat Hella H4's but these headlights have a huge dish to them compared to a regular light. I want this van to have subtle custom touches.
PB030004-3.jpg

PB030005_2.jpg

I also picked up a 1970 date code wheel that matches the year of the van to use for a spare. Still has the original tire on it, it will be changed out for something lower profile in case of having to use it. Not sure what colour to powder coat this wheel yet.
PB030011_3.jpg

That wireing harness looks the bomb 8)

Go on - give us a clue to the cost (you know you want too) ;)

These arrived today for the bus. 165/50-15 for the front and 185/65-15 for the rear.
PB230030.jpg

PB230031.jpg

Pretty stoked to get the same tire and tread pattern in the two different sizes. Home reno on the go right now so I will get them mounted once I get back out to the garage.

After selling "Big Red" I now need to get back on track with the "Lunch Box". It has been stored in my friends barn for the past year and a bit keeping dry and dusty. The only probleming a deluxe over a camper is the lack of camping gear inside. Great to drive everyday but after owning a highroof westy camping on a z bed is like slumming it ;) . Well that problem has recently been resolved with the recent purchase of this Camp'otel roof top tent and cook kit.:

Not mine but the best shot I could find of one all packed up
DSC03744.JPG

These are actually pictures mine installed on a bug
740090.jpg

740092.jpg

All of this packs up in the aluminum box on the rear.
740091.jpg

They were made in the 60-70's in Texas and had different options. The one I purchased is all original with the outside shower, table/cook kit, and NOS awning. It has two water tanks that sit on either side of the tent, one for cold water and one that extends out past the tent to be warmed by the sun for the shower. There is a ladder and platform to get up into the tent itself. It also came with all of the original brochures and literature. A road trip is planned to pick it up in California in the upcoming months.

Aside from that I have picked up a trip speedo, Emden Radio, OG bus Hurst shifter, 5th OG Fuchs for a spare and few NOS accessories. Plans right now are to have it up and running by late spring.

Thx to all that have replied to my questions about lowering over the last little while as I have been trying to figure out the set up. I already have Slamwerks springplates waiting (thx group buy and those who helped me receive mine) and front K&L beam and spindles will be coming from Wagenswest.

Thats it for now.

That's a beautiful looking bus, it's gonna look sooo cool when it's done. Looking forward to seeing the finished article

Love the roof tent and cooking set up !!!! Would have been trying buy the cook gear if it was around while we were there !!!!! (or steal it while you wasn't looking )
If you find another let me know !! :)

vaughan said:
Love the roof tent and cooking set up !!!! Would have been trying buy the cook gear if it was around while we were there !!!!! (or steel it while you wasn't looking )
If you find another let me know !! :)

I can just imagine Kath carrying it down the street yelling like the lady in this commercial :lol:

[youtube]6C7oqXewyCE[/youtube]

Man that's a sure solid bus you got there can't wait to see it slammed
An on the rims gotta look og Fuchs

Rob

Rob b said:

Rob

Thanks man, but unfortunately this bus is going to be up for sale soon. I bought a second factory sunroof bus and only have so much space.

Don't slam it before you sell it, think you'll have more takers for a stock height. She's a beauty!

squareweave said:
Rob b said:

Rob

Thanks man, but unfortunately this bus is going to be up for sale soon. I bought a second factory sunroof bus and only have so much space.

Must be a good bus if your keeping it over the delta that will be a bus you wish you never sold for sure

Rob

Latest posts