Deluxe devon crossover

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke

Reaction score
Just a few pictures of my van going through restoration. I taken it off the road july 07 with the plan of a little bit of welding but it soon became a full on resto, im hoping to get it Moted within a month and finished for the end of the year, anyway on with the pics!

Before the resto:
vanresto016.jpg

Welding time:
vanrestoration015.jpg

vanrestoration006.jpg

vanrestoration001.jpg

vanrestoration2003.jpg

In paint:
vanrestoration3012.jpg

vanrestoration3001.jpg

P260409_1820.jpg

And finaly one i taken a few days ago:
P120509_201801.jpg

the interior isnt finished yet, ive got a few of the cabnets finished butmost need fitting still, im not retrimming till later in the year, got to get the mechanical stuff done first! Still got to straighten and polish all the deluxe bits too!

Very nice job youv'e done there fella 8)
Not many UK deluxes left, especially 72s, nice to see another survivor ;) Can i just ask what happened to that odd bit of rear bumper trim? I would be interested in buying it if you still have it.

just a bit, i have to remove the skylight and let the tyres down to get it in and out! this leaves me with the decision...lower the van or raise the door...??

wibbler said:
Very nice job youv'e done there fella 8)
Not many UK deluxes left, especially 72s, nice to see another survivor ;) Can i just ask what happened to that odd bit of rear bumper trim? I would be interested in buying it if you still have it.

sorry all my deluxe trim is getting polished and going back on!

Heres an update on this weeks work, ive been working on it solid to meet next months deadline, ive got to finish the brakes, bleed them, weld in some seatbelt mounts, patch up a few small holes ive found under the front, and then i think its MOT time!

This is how the interior is looking, the original devon moonmaker interior was about knackered after the van was used as a dog kennels for a decade but i love it so ive done my best to save it. Ive sanded it down, stained it and varnished it doing my best to remove the water staining. Itll never look great but its all part of the vans history! Oh and ignore the cushons, they are rank and will be replaced as soon as i find a sponge supplier!
Note the new carpet, nice and warm for winter camping :)
P260409_1658.jpg

After ages of trying to wire my lights up and burning out indicator relays i found that someone had welded my wiring loom melting all the wires :evil: another job...
P080509_2043.jpg

P080509_2047.jpg

My front indicators were full of water and so rusted up that the bulb would not earth, so i shot blasted them and sprayed them silver, not a bad job and they work good as new now, although im going to need some new seals soon.
P120509_2008.jpg

Last job of the week, replacing the brake shoe backing plates and fitting new handbrake cables. I couldnt get the hub nuts off so out came the angle grinder and chisel!
P160509_1137.jpg

A quick update, the vans all MOTed now and i took it to bugjam with no problems at all :) The interior is half done, its all fitted (so i can use it for whats left of the summer) but only half restored and no re-trimmed yet. Ive started restoring the deluxe trim and fitting it, as you can see in the pics the front bumper is done :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: The main job that is left will be sanding the chassis and repainting it (yes im running it baremetal!!!!!) anyway, on with the pics!

IMGP2384_2_3_tonemapped.jpg

IMGP2380.jpg

IMGP2390.jpg

IMGP2391.jpg

IMGP2392.jpg

and a working photo!

IMGP2396.jpg

A quick update on the van, ive just spent 4 days solid sweating under the van and ive discover that the old metal ive welded too appears to be dissapearing at an alarming rate. Its scary how fast they rot, i got it almost totaly solid only 2 years ago and ive went camping in it 3 times, now its rusty again. Oh well, thats VW ownership i guess, MOT is in one hour, wish me luck...i'll need it!

luke said:
just a bit, i have to remove the skylight and let the tyres down to get it in and out! this leaves me with the decision...lower the van or raise the door...??

i know this problem...i damaged my roof when i tryed ti store my crewcab in my mothers garage :evil: ...now it's lowered and it pass... :p

nice looking bus and i hope you passed MoT...have to go with my bug soon as well... :?

ant said:
love this bus
Cheers!

Dubscum are you mad? those cushon covers are rank! they will be in the bin soon...
The god of MOTs smiled upon me today, it passed! only just though. Next of the list of things to do is the wheels, im going to wires brush them down, hammerite them white and fit baby moons and beauty rings :D for comparison this is what they look like now:

IMGP3394.jpg

Looking good mate! I would get them wheels blasted and then powder coat them silver, wont cost allot. 8)

Since my last update i should have got alot of work done...but i got distracted by the shoddy looking bike frame in my garage, so when i should have been working on the van i was busy turning this:
IMG_0168.jpg

Into this:
IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

But anyway, procrastination over ive started doing the van again. Using some flatdrive sockets ive managed to get most of the rounded wheel nuts off (theres 3 at the front that i will need to take an angle grinder to). So back wheels off, painted in L90D pastellweiß, beauty rings on...looking good! Only been able to do the rear ones so far so i will have to get cracking if i want it done by the bus stopover!
IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

(sorry about the poor quality iphone pictures)

Latest posts