Difference between westie front & rear hinging roof

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldrick

Reaction score
Hi all

Can anyone let me know why the westie went from a front hinging roof to a rear in '73? I'm curious but can't seem to find anything that says why. (Google doesn't often let me down!!)

What were the main reasons and benefits in changing it?

Thanks for any help.

whilst on this subject is there any difference in size/angle etc between rear hinges and front hinges? just wondering wether i could fit the later type other than the crap early tubular ones, hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread bud ;)

I think the early type has a larger roof rack area and teopening is only used as added head space.
Whereas the later type has a smaller rack area over the cab and the elevation makes a double bed 'Upstairs'

I maybe wrong, so let me know if I am...

mankywelshman said:
whilst on this subject is there any difference in size/angle etc between rear hinges and front hinges? just wondering wether i could fit the later type other than the crap early tubular ones, hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread bud ;)

Hi!

I believe the late front hinge models, like a 73 have stronger hinges........

Alistair

'68 - '73 had the front hinge Pop top and '74 - '92 has the rear pop top.

IMO VW found out that the early ones leading edge would get lose or warp and the lead air stream would get ram into it.
1968-1973Buspoptopcloseupshot.jpg

With the later front luggage rack......the pop top is secured from the air force......
74-92BSvanfront.jpg

Again, IMO.....

PS: I have a sale (unheard of prices....) on my pop top seals with LR trim $65 / or all seals at http://www.thesamba.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for all 3x of them from $70 plus shipping from So Calif. but the sale ends 9/8 AM!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=834994

Latest posts