Different size tyres front and rear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daverob73

Reaction score
I’m getting some new tyres, and found out something interesting.
According to my local tyre garage, my insurance might be invalid if I have larger size tyres on the rear and smaller tyres on the front.

Anyone know if that's right? Maybe that counts as non standard.

I've had 185/65/R15 on the rear and 175/55/R15 on the front for a couple of years and the MOT man passed two years running.
Maybe a way for the insurance company to avoid paying out!

I guess if the insurance companies wanted to be pedantic, then anything other than commercial 14" (185R14C) tyres load rating 102 are non standard and could be a way out for them...

A point many of us, myself included fall foul of...

Just inform your insurance company of any modifications and you will have nothing to worry about. That's what I do

Production cars - Smart as an example - come as standard with differing fronts and rears. Just let your insurance company know. :)

Mot doesn't care what size they are or even if they are the correct load rating. He cares if they meet spec.

I know first hand working in insurance they can look for minor details if they are trying to wriggle out of a claim. So best declare everything off spec within reason. The line it was like it when I bought it only goes so far. My "mods" list is anal from wheels tyres to minor things. Better safe than sorry. It adds nothing to my premium so I've not saved any money by not declaring it but stand a good chance of being ok should worse happens

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Latest posts