disc brakes all round

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardAlexander

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Westfalia
looking to upgrade the brakes on the bus an go for the disc brakes. have seen plenty of front brake kits that allow me to keep the original wheels but cant find rear brake conversion anyone able to point me in the right direction.

I may be wrong but I think disc brakes on the rear are not really worth the extra effort and cash.

Don’t forget as soon as you begin braking the weight of the bus (and everything in it) shifts toward the front meaning the front brakes are doing the bulk of the braking.

Many think disc brakes don’t give anymore stopping power over drums, they do however have the advantage of low maintenance.

Whatever you do ensure you have a servo too - worth their weight in gold and a much more noticeable difference.

I have all round discs and don't have a servo.
CE do a rear disc conversion, but I don't recommend it. It took quite a while to sort the all the issues, poor design, parts missing, no instructions, non-existent customer service just to name a few things wrong.

Just fitted latebay front hubs with limebug adapters to the front of mine
Am yet to try it will report when i drive it

sparkywig said:
Haveacamper said:
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to go for disc brakes all round?

Running a stroker, couldn’t get a decent working handbrake, and my backing plates were rotten.

:) My question was for Richard, but thanks :)

It seems that, for many, similar to upgrading front disc brakes its the first option of improving their performance, when in reality, little has been done to rectify cheaper shortcomings in the system.

i.e. correctly adjusted, replace tired lines, bleed system, fitting of a servo, change of master cylinder. all likely to be cheaper and many easier than going to discs all around or even just "upgrading" to bigger front discs.

FYI I have discs all round with servo fitted

literally want lower maintenance, spent ages doing new rear hubs because i blew a cylinder, didn't adjust the shoe properly and cooked the rear wheel and blew another cylinder on a 160 mile round trip and had to do the whole thing over again :oops: :oops: :oops: :evil: :evil:

poor adjustment on my part expensive too.

it might be me, but setting up the adjusters is a b*&£ard of a job, i dont think ive every got it right, times ive spent adjusting them at the MOT station because there not balanced, self adjusting would be 100% better. PS i have a very understanding tester

Haveacamper said:
sparkywig said:
Haveacamper said:
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to go for disc brakes all round?

Running a stroker, couldn’t get a decent working handbrake, and my backing plates were rotten.

:) My question was for Richard, but thanks :)

It seems that, for many, similar to upgrading front disc brakes its the first option of improving their performance, when in reality, little has been done to rectify cheaper shortcomings in the system.

i.e. correctly adjusted, replace tired lines, bleed system, fitting of a servo, change of master cylinder. all likely to be cheaper and many easier than going to discs all around or even just "upgrading" to bigger front discs.

FYI I have discs all round with servo fitted

just watched video fitting a servo requires welding, i cant weld for toffee, so looks like paying to get that done.

Haveacamper said:

Nathan, I agree 100% with this.
A properly set up and adjusted drum brake system will perform as well as discs the majority of the time.

Latest posts