DIY door cards

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiplee123

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of making door cards and walls etc for my bus.
As I've got a panel van I can't purchase these off the shelf , well the door cards I can but not the walls so I thought I'd do the lot myself!
I took the old door cards off and have stencilled out new ones and they just need covering.
I'm now working on the sliding door and the walls will soon follow.
They will all be covered with prob cream vinyl to keep it light as poss in the back.
I have new seats in the front and new r n r bed cushions n covers which I had made and these were fluted ( stitched by machine )
These look really nice

Has anyone ever made there own door cards and actually got your sowing machine out and stitched flutes into them?
I've u tubed it and have an idea what to do but not sure if its gonna be a nightmare to try?
Scrim foam is available on eBay at a reasonable price and the vinyl is around £10 a meter
So prob £20 a door £50 a panel wall

I made some for my old 55 Mercury (same technology). Was pretty ok to do. I got some tailors chalk to mark the material (it comes off afterwards). You will need a pretty tough sewing machine (I used my old faithful hand Singer Victorian one). Have a go!
(Oh, and I found some short reach staples for my staple gun...standard length ones stuck thro the board.
Good luck! :D

Toad said:
I made some for my old 55 Mercury (same technology). Was pretty ok to do. I got some tailors chalk to mark the material (it comes off afterwards). You will need a pretty tough sewing machine (I used my old faithful hand Singer Victorian one). Have a go!
(Oh, and I found some short reach staples for my staple gun...standard length ones stuck thro the board.

Any chance of some photos of your Mercury?

I would like to get an old yank though I have to admit I was rather disappointed with a test drive in a 64 mustang. Are they all so "lifeless" to drive?

Trikky2 said:
Toad said:

Any chance of some photos of your Mercury?

I would like to get an old yank though I have to admit I was rather disappointed with a test drive in a 64 mustang. Are they all so "lifeless" to drive?

Here you go Trikky!
My 55! Mercury Sports Coupe (Pillarles) 5.5 litre Mustang engine....quite a beast really would wheel spin forever on a damp day...and those straight thro pipes with cherry bombs sounded sooo sweet (same MPG as my Bay too!). Dont get me wrong I love the sound of a camper, but hey theres something about a V8 on tickover that just does it for me lol
I loved the smooothness of the ride...the huge bench seats...no seatbelts....the sheer size....they were built so solid...chassis like girders, and most panels un-bolt too (on the front anyhow....and sooo simple to work on!.

Just wish I still had it, but you cant keep em all!

Wow that's nice - thanks for posting up the pictures. Interesting car, I haven't seen one of those before.

I am surprised the mpg is like your bay - 25 to 28? I thought these would only do about 15 mpg.

I was looking at a 60's mustang or a 58 Belaire or a 56 Buick century or a mk2 or mk4 thunderbird. Having only tried a mustang it's hard to know what the others would be like.

The size is worrying on narrow roads too but somebody pointed out they are not much bigger than a Mondeo and the Stang is actually smaller. Much pondering here and a lack of decision making :lol:

Totally agree re the sound of a V8 too.

Could always put a rover 3.5 V8 in your camper :shock:

Trikky2 said:
Wow that's nice - thanks for posting up the pictures. Interesting car, I haven't seen one of those before.

I am surprised the mpg is like your bay - 25 to 28? I thought these would only do about 15 mpg.

I was looking at a 60's mustang or a 58 Belaire or a 56 Buick century or a mk2 or mk4 thunderbird. Having only tried a mustang it's hard to know what the others would be like.

The size is worrying on narrow roads too but somebody pointed out they are not much bigger than a Mondeo and the Stang is actually smaller. Much pondering here and a lack of decision making :lol:

Totally agree re the sound of a V8 too.

Hi, Yes the 55 Mercury is quite a rare car (especially in the UK) seen a couple of 56 Montclares/Montereys but not quite the same.

My Mercury was bigger than a Mondeo thats for sure! I had no problem driving through lanes though. It was probably similar width to say a transit? (bit longer tho). Mustangs are quite a bit smaller (almost a compact in USA standards lol). Yes, MPG was good (as in similar to a bus) I think mainly due to its power and the fact the engine is not working very hard most of the time...cruising was almost at tickover! Mine had an Auto box but would have preffered the original column change. I used to have a Ford Consul that had that and it was so nice and easy to drive. The great thing with American cars is parts availability. I could get anything for the Mercury...if not in the UK...next day UPS from the States. And the engineering is so straight forward! :D

Latest posts