Does a bus with no engine need an MOT..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamos

Reaction score
.. to be parked on the road?

I know it sounds like a silly question.

At the moment I am paying to store my bus in a locked yard. I don't have electricity in the yard so I would like to get it moved down to my mother in law's house so I can start working on it.

I need to take the engine out anyway because I have a lot of work to do in the engine bay.

Is a vehicle without an engine still a vehicle?

Paul

Yes I'm afraid , it still needs to be insured as well, even if it's not on the road it needs to be insured. If it were on a trailer, that should be a different story I'm thinking, but technically it's not legal to leave a trailer parked on a road or public highway if not connected to a towing vehicle .

Ozziedog,,,,,,, they got you just about every which way :mrgreen:

Thanks Ozziedog

Just going to have to load the trailer up with generator, welder and tools and camp out at the storage yard for a few weekends :(

Get it MOTd and then move it down to the in laws

Paul

A legal case from the early 60's decided that a vehicle did not cease to be a vehicle just because its engine had been removed. Have a look at Newberry v Simmonds [1961] Queen's Bench Division, this held that a motor car from which the engine had been removed did not thereby cease to be a mechanically propelled vehicle if the evidence admitted the possibility that the engine might be replaced and motive power restored.

However, if you get your bus on a trailer, then park the trailer on the road - the trailer doesn't need an MOT, regardless of what's sitting on top of it... Just so long as the bus isn't touching the road ;)

Dickie524 said:
However, if you get your bus on a trailer, then park the trailer on the road - the trailer doesn't need an MOT, regardless of what's sitting on top of it... Just so long as the bus isn't touching the road ;)

I think you may find, that it`s illegal to park a trailer on the road if it`s not connected to a towing vehicle. In reality would anyone bother with it ? who knows. If I wanted to nick a bus, it would be dead handy to have it on a trailer ready to hook up and drive off into the sunset :shock: With maybe a padlock to sort out :roll: I know on your licence nowdays you have to do a separate test for a towed thingy as well. Maybe its in the highway code.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It`s getting tough out there :mrgreen:

I am going to have to get it MOTd then which means fitting out a trailer as a mobile workshop for a bit so I can work on it at the storage yard.

You gotta do what you gotta do.

paul

I have now found somewhere to work on my bus that is not on the road.

Paul

Lets get the facts right . To have a vehicle parked on public road it must be taxed or tax exempt registered with DVLA , have MOT and be insured.If still taxed but insurance or MOT runs out whilst on public road you are liable. If the vehicle is parked on private land must be sworn if tax runs out but does not need to have to MOT or be insured . It is advisable to have insurance to cover against fire or theft by carrying on your insurance cover or speak to your broker about fire and theft insurance . A caravan is a trailer and look how many of them are parked on public roads.As far as a trailer is concerned you can put your vehicle on a trailer on public road not committing an offense but don't expect it to be there for very long because someone will come along and take it away never to be seen again.
Robert

Apologies all ,to the OP and you Robert. Trailers do not need to be insured or to be hitched to an insured vehicle since 1983. The only thing they can get you on apart from just being a nuisance and or unsightly, is being parked the wrong way to the flow of traffic because of reflectors etc, it then gets a bit hazy about if a trailer / caravan needs to have lights on during the hours of darkness etc etc :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Well,,, who`d have thought :mrgreen:

No need to apologize ozzie .As long as you are parked in 30 mph area where the street lights are no more than 100yds apart you don't need lights but must have reflectors and be parked on correct side of road, ie on coming traffic can see your red reflectors. Strangely enough skips by law are supposed to have lights.
Robert

Latest posts